Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Everyone wants a kid that is labled as SPECIAL NEEDS! *definitions inside*

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 117 Replies

special needs

plural noun
the special educational requirements of those with learning difficulties, emotional or behavioral problems, orphysical disabilities.

dis·a·bil·i·ty

[dis-uh-bil-i-tee]  Show IPA
noun, plural dis·a·bil·i·ties for 2.
lack of adequate power, strength, or physical or mental abilityincapacity.
a physical or mental handicap, especially one that prevents a person from living a full, normal life orfrom holding a gainful job.

hand·i·cap

[han-dee-kap]  Show IPA noun, verb, hand·i·capped, hand·i·cap·ping.
noun

the disadvantage or advantage itself.

a physical or mental disability making participation in certain of the usual activities of daily living moredifficult.

---------------------------- CONCLUSION ---------------------------------------------
So it is possible one can be special needs but not handicapped or one can be handicapped but not disabled or be disabled and not special needs or be all three or only two or just one....
Whatcha think?

So regards to whether or not ADHD is a SPECIAL NEED title....... [Your input here]
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I class anything that requires an IEP at school as a special need. 

Anonymous
I have a kid with sensory issues, and he is none of the above.
Anonymous
2 moms liked this
I think everyone wants a SN kid because it's justifiable public assistance. Instead of saying "I just don't want to work", they can say "I just can't work".

Eta: this goes for those that seem to be desperate to prove there's something strong with their kid so they can get SSI or SSDI.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM
...the fuck?
My son is autistic and has ADHD.
I don't WANT a SN kid, it's just what I was dealt.

ETA: I re read it and it sounded like I meant I didn't want HIM - I just hate what we have to deal with - it's so hard to see him struggle constantly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

*shrug*  I don't know. All I know is that I don't have any special needs kids.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

well I think at this point if we are going to dispute whether or not this or that is special needs, or a disability, or a handicap, we should dispute if this or that really falls within the definition and category ya know.

Quoting Anonymous:

I class anything that requires an IEP at school as a special need. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

So your conclusion is people with sensory issues are not disabled, handicapped, or special needs? 

I can support your statement... Now Im waiting for someone to say otherwise see how they fit it into the three definitions above.

Quoting Anonymous: I have a kid with sensory issues, and he is none of the above.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

So according to you, my deafness was wanted by my mom so she could collect SSI or SSDI for my deafness?

Quoting Anonymous: I think everyone wants a SN kid because it's justifiable public assistance. Instead of saying "I just don't want to work", they can say "I just can't work".

Eta: this goes for those that seem to be desperate to prove there's something strong with their kid so they can get SSI or SSDI.

The.Last.Rebel
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Idrc what other people say, my son has an IEP for his special needs, doesn't really mean anything other than that.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)