Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

homemade/healthy is not cheaper!!!! edit/update

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 459 Replies
1 mom liked this

update

you ladies love to assume everyone has the time to spend two hours on a loaf of bread or five hours letting a sauce simmer. and you also love to assume that i eat this stuff all the time

i make everything from scratch. biscuits, soups, *i tried bread lol* my nephew has soy problems and everything has soy in it. there is six and a half people in my household right now i make it on $500 for food and household items. i even now make my own mayo because other mayos has soy in it

for some its just not feasible and nor do i have the storage cabalities for storing a 25 lb bag of flour *although i wish i did!! LOL* nor does my yard allow anything but weeds to grow. the trees suck the life out of anything. i was raised to grow my own stuff and can it also. it bothers me not to be able do it here. i wish i could

case in point

making a cake

box cake $2.00

homemade cake $7.00

Milk $4

koolaid .50

chicken nuggests $5

skinless boneless chickenbreast $7.00

bag of apples $5

bag of chips $2

bread

$1.28

homemade $5

by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalaballet
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
6 moms liked this
Where are you getting those prices?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
18 moms liked this

$5 for home made bread? N I dont think so. Now the initial ingredients yes-but then you can make 50 loaves!

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

walmart

dillons is the only other grocery store and they are higher than walmart

Quoting lalaballet: Where are you getting those prices?

norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
18 moms liked this
Your numbers are way off and I won't even think of caring about a persons opinion that compares milk to kool-aid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

really? it cost 2 dollars almost just for three small packets of yeast. flour $1.88, milk or butter or eggs tack on more

Quoting Anonymous:

$5 for home made bread? N I dont think so. Now the initial ingredients yes-but then you can make 50 loaves!

Mtdewwid
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I know for a fact it doesn't cost 5 bucks to make white bread at home.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

i would rather drink milk than koolaid any day but i hear people say eating healthy is cheap

no its not

we eat mostly the boneless skinless chicken breast but its the truth

Quoting norwgnwood: Your numbers are way off and I won't even think of caring about a persons opinion that compares milk to kool-aid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
It doesn't coat that much to make bread and cakes. The upfront costs might be more but the ingredients you buy can make a lot of cakes and bread.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

How much flour are you buying?

I spend $3 for a 5lb bag of bread flour, but I can make between 5-6 loaves out of that.

The only expensive part (at least for me, since I use a bread maker) is the yeast, because it's $5 a jar.

Quoting Anonymous:

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

yes it does

yeast alone is almost 2 dollars

flour, milk, eggs butter

it all adds up

Quoting Mtdewwid: I know for a fact it doesn't cost 5 bucks to make white bread at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)