Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those opposed to a Minimum Wage Increase.

Posted by   + Show Post

I've posted this in a reply but will post it here for people who incorrectly think it will start a large ripple effect, don't know how it works or just want the info. 

http://truth-out.org/news/item/14050

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Replies (231-235):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a family.....it's just that simple and if you choose to have a family, when you are only qualified for minimum wage that's your mistake.   The only jobs in my area that pay minimum wage are food workers, retail and hotel workers.....our factories and distribution centers pay WELL over minimum wage.  So again, you get what you give. 

Quoting Kazoo22:

You don't understand labor and production do you? If minimum wage had kept up with increase in productivity minimum wage workers would be making $20. Minimum wage workers may not have a higher education (though the majority have a high school diploma and above) but they do physically demanding labor. Is it really too much to ask that they be paid a wage that doesn't leave them poor and having to live on public assistance?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Unskilled, menial laborers get paid a fair wage.....you get what you give.

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Then I guess all the people with college educations working in fast food get what they give (*eye roll*). Which btw they make up 41% of the minimum wage workforce. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a family.....it's just that simple and if you choose to have a family, when you are only qualified for minimum wage that's your mistake.   The only jobs in my area that pay minimum wage are food workers, retail and hotel workers.....our factories and distribution centers pay WELL over minimum wage.  So again, you get what you give. 

Quoting Kazoo22:

You don't understand labor and production do you? If minimum wage had kept up with increase in productivity minimum wage workers would be making $20. Minimum wage workers may not have a higher education (though the majority have a high school diploma and above) but they do physically demanding labor. Is it really too much to ask that they be paid a wage that doesn't leave them poor and having to live on public assistance?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM

In this country there is no such thing as forced labor.....you choose your job here.  So if, in spite of your education, you're only valuable enough for minimum wage then you get what you give. 

My son works at McDonald's, a job that took all of five days to train for, is not worth more than the minimum wage he is paid.  But he is not married, he has no children and he attends college seeking a degree that will actually benefit him in the future.  That's another issue, when college graduates seek pointless degrees with no real future then they end up at McDonald's and the like..... 

Quoting Kazoo22:

Then I guess all the people with college educations working in fast food get what they give (*eye roll*). Which btw they make up 41% of the minimum wage workforce. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting Kazoo22:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

tnt-manda
by Mandy Dandy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I work in a nursing home as a nurse. My aides are the glue. They do work that most wouldn't ever want to do. Nursing is a very under appreciated job in general, most of us don't do it for that though most of us do it because it is truly rewarding caring for others. All I know is if my mom/Dad or loved one was ever in a nursing home id want the person caring for them to make an acceptable pay. Something they could take pride in, value what they do so I can have the best Cna giving my loved one care.

Quoting Anonymous: Yea more like a 3 month class and pass a state test. Including first aid, adult, children, and infants CPR.

Quoting AVSpecWife4: Bullshit. Not in any state are CNA courses that short.

Quoting Anonymous: You can become a CNA after a two weeks course, it's hardly educated.

Quoting Anonymous: If you think that a CNA only wipes ass and cleans puke, you are very ignorant. There is a lot more to it than that honey.

They have to be certified, hence the C in CNA. Certification means schooling and a state test.

They have to take vital signs, be able to read vitals, know an extensive amount of terms and abbreviations, they do a lot of heavy lifting and deal with abuse from some residents, etc. They do damn near everything (anyone who feels like quoting this, don't twist what I said. DAMN NEAR is not saying EVERYTHING) a nurse does plus the shitty part that nurses don't want to do.

The CNA's at my husband's facility are valuable. The DON and other higher ups don't treat them as just "ass and puke wipers". When an RN works his or her way up in that field from the very bottom (CNA) they tend to be more respected and caring nurses.

CNAs are treated like shit when it's not even deserved. CNAs are the glue in the nursing field. While RNs and LPNs are slammed with paperwork and rushing to emergencies, CNAs are doing the stuff the nurses can't at that moment.

Moral of the story: CNAs are important. Someone has to do that job and not everyone can handle it. It takes a special kind of person to actually do it and do it well.

Quoting Anonymous: Where do you live that CNA's earn much more than minimum wage? It's an unskilled ass and puke wiper.

Quoting Kazoo22:

How is a CNA minimum wage? How dumb are you?

Quoting Anonymous: Because you're a CNA.... Or was looking to be one. Aminimum wage worker with how many kids? 4? 5?

Of course you're for raising minimum wage. You made bad life choices and now expect the government to pay for it.

Quoting AVSpecWife4: I want you to explain why my personal life is relevant to raising the min wage for America. I have no problem answering, but if you're merely out to attack me based on my beliefs and my job history and using ad hominem after ad hominem to try and further or bolster your own argument - well, I'm sorry to say that's not exactly a very good way to represent your "side" here.

Tell me, why is my work history relevant to the issue of raising min wage?

Quoting Anonymous: Why won't you answer? Have you ever even held a job? Or are you one of these bottom feeders who got knocked up without an education and now you're complaining about being stuck with minimum wage employment.

Quoting AVSpecWife4: Why?

Quoting Anonymous: I'm curious to hear if you've worked a day of your life in a corporate environment, it's relevant.

Quoting AVSpecWife4: Why does that even matter?

Quoting Anonymous: What's your job?

Quoting AVSpecWife4: Yeah, that must be it!

No, wait, they work hard. And yes they are entitled to earn more than crap wages.

Quoting Anonymous: Obviously not. Not everyone has it in them to work hard - they'd rather continue to feel entitled.

Quoting AVSpecWife4: Because everyone is exactly the same, right?

Quoting Anonymous: I haven't always made $24 per hour. I worked hard, didn't call in sick, took every class available to me, etc. I don't have a degree - just hard work.

Quoting AVSpecWife4: Bullshit. Not everyone can be at the top jobs. There will always be a need for those to work the crap jobs. Scrubbing toilets, serving food, fixing cars, etc. they are worth more than the crap they're paid. People not working hard enough isn't the issue. Do you know people would worker harder if they're paid more?

Quoting Anonymous: If people want to earn more they can better themselves and work harder to achieve it. I don't think minimum wage should go up, people need to work harder.

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

So now you're just assuming that those people who have been forced to  work at minimum wage jobs all have "useless" degrees. 

There isn't really much point in continuing this conversation. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

In this country there is no such thing as forced labor.....you choose your job here.  So if, in spite of your education, you're only valuable enough for minimum wage then you get what you give. 

My son works at McDonald's, a job that took all of five days to train for, is not worth more than the minimum wage he is paid.  But he is not married, he has no children and he attends college seeking a degree that will actually benefit him in the future.  That's another issue, when college graduates seek pointless degrees with no real future then they end up at McDonald's and the like..... 

Quoting Kazoo22:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting Kazoo22:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)