Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9 and 13 y/o pay rent....every month

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 506 Replies
8 moms liked this
My 9 and 13 y/os pay rent out of their allowance every month. They get between $10 and $50 a month depending on how many chores they do that month. They each pay $5/ mth for rent. I'm getting them used to paying bills at a young age so when they're older it won't be a shock. I take the rent money and save it for them or invest it in a stock account for them when they turn 18.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

UPDATE: Everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. This rent issue is actually a very small part of our lives and the kids like to choose where to invest their money every month. And yes iI supplement this amount too. They are learning a little about investments and money management. They are very much loved and all their needs are well taken care of by myself. Its actually more likea game than paying serious rrent. They are living their childhoods as kids, not little adults paying bills, etc. DS13 is in all honors classes at school, plays football and does track. DD9 gets straight As, does dance and basketball. They are not slaves. They have chores to do daily and I can afford to pay them usually $50/month in allowance. Sometimes it varies. So chill out everyone. I'm not damaging them psychologically and there is no abuse or neglect. For goodness sakes, its a $5/month game we all enjoy playing and learning from.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
What do they get in return for their rent money?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM
3 moms liked this

I think that would be a good idea I guess if that money was going into like a saving account for them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM
45 moms liked this

no, it's your JOB to provide them with a home....hope someone turns your ass in...you are essentially making slaves out of your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM
11 moms liked this

what do you get in return for yours?

Quoting Lydlou02: What do they get in return for their rent money?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:59 AM
18 moms liked this
Do you think that people who didn't "pay bills" when they were 9 were "shocked" when they became adults? Lol. I didn't and wasn't. I truly don't know anyone who was. To each his own, I just think that's a weird line of thinking, personally.

Do they drive and cook for themselves as well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM
8 moms liked this

$5 is not a huge amount. Seems like it could be a good teaching tool.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM

as an adult, i get the privledge of living in my house...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I can understand it, but don't agree/disagree with it. I don't think i would do it at 9, maybe 13 (as a teaching tool) but to each their own.

Lydlou02
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Privileges and responsibilities.

Like: privacy, the right to make my own choices, and the duty of home maintenance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SageAdvice
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM
37 moms liked this

Um, that's extremely radical and I'm damn sure not at all healthy psychologically. .

Kids should be allowed to be kids while young and children.

Talk about instilling fear of ones parents not being able to provide for them and general feelings of being unsafe about the world and their future, at a young age.

They are not adult, but are expected to carry the burdens of adults. RENT at 9 and 13, wow.

( I know that's not your intention but. . .it's either going to go well for them, or they will spend more money than they will ever make/earn as children ( even in a good investment portfolio ) trying to fix the damage you did mentally to their psyche later when they are grown )

<>If a gnat dived into your pool of knowledge, it would break its neck.<>

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)