Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9 and 13 y/o pay rent....every month

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My 9 and 13 y/os pay rent out of their allowance every month. They get between $10 and $50 a month depending on how many chores they do that month. They each pay $5/ mth for rent. I'm getting them used to paying bills at a young age so when they're older it won't be a shock. I take the rent money and save it for them or invest it in a stock account for them when they turn 18.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

UPDATE: Everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. This rent issue is actually a very small part of our lives and the kids like to choose where to invest their money every month. And yes iI supplement this amount too. They are learning a little about investments and money management. They are very much loved and all their needs are well taken care of by myself. Its actually more likea game than paying serious rrent. They are living their childhoods as kids, not little adults paying bills, etc. DS13 is in all honors classes at school, plays football and does track. DD9 gets straight As, does dance and basketball. They are not slaves. They have chores to do daily and I can afford to pay them usually $50/month in allowance. Sometimes it varies. So chill out everyone. I'm not damaging them psychologically and there is no abuse or neglect. For goodness sakes, its a $5/month game we all enjoy playing and learning from.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
blessedtohave7
by Bahama Mama on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I would agree if they were 18 but kids...that's taking it a little far....I would never ask my kids at that age to pay rent.
falloutboy
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I don't think I'd go on calling it rent, that just sounds silly for kids that age. What happens when your kids start telling everyone they have to pay rent and not fully explain?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM

A place to raise her children

Quoting Anonymous:

what do you get in return for yours?

Quoting Lydlou02: What do they get in return for their rent money?

Amiana
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I love this and will be doing it now! I saw this on that "my children dont do chores" post. Everyone seems to be overreacting.
Not everyone pays their children allowance at all, so what is so outraegeous about giving them a little less and teaching them about bills? I think this is a great idea!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM

a place to live?  what do you get in return for your rent money?

Quoting Lydlou02: What do they get in return for their rent money?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Quoting halleys_mommy_1: Wowwwwwww. People need to chill. I think op is doing something her kids will appreciate when older.

She nver said she made them wash the floor by hand for $$ or do anything deamed unsafe. Whats cps gunna find.... kids doing CHORES for an allowance?! Jeeze. So what if she takes $5 for "rent"

Alot of parents take HALF and put it away.

Thank you. School work comes first then chores...taking garbage out, cleaning rooms, picking up the living room. NO slave labor.
anaijasmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM
That's a good idea, teach them young!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't expect the "my house my rules" excuse to work anymore. If they pay rent as adults, they are entitled to the privacy of an adult.

maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I don't agree with making them pay rent, you are obligated as a parent to provide them with a home. However, I do think it is important to teach them the value of money starting at a young age. Why not just give them their earned allowance each month. Then they have to save part of it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM

yeah for real...can you imagine a teacher overhearing the 9yr old talking about paying 'rent' to his friends, taking his words out of context, and making a huge scene involving the social worker, etc, etc?

Quoting falloutboy: I don't think I'd go on calling it rent, that just sounds silly for kids that age. What happens when your kids start telling everyone they have to pay rent and not fully explain?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)