Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9 and 13 y/o pay rent....every month

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My 9 and 13 y/os pay rent out of their allowance every month. They get between $10 and $50 a month depending on how many chores they do that month. They each pay $5/ mth for rent. I'm getting them used to paying bills at a young age so when they're older it won't be a shock. I take the rent money and save it for them or invest it in a stock account for them when they turn 18.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

UPDATE: Everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. This rent issue is actually a very small part of our lives and the kids like to choose where to invest their money every month. And yes iI supplement this amount too. They are learning a little about investments and money management. They are very much loved and all their needs are well taken care of by myself. Its actually more likea game than paying serious rrent. They are living their childhoods as kids, not little adults paying bills, etc. DS13 is in all honors classes at school, plays football and does track. DD9 gets straight As, does dance and basketball. They are not slaves. They have chores to do daily and I can afford to pay them usually $50/month in allowance. Sometimes it varies. So chill out everyone. I'm not damaging them psychologically and there is no abuse or neglect. For goodness sakes, its a $5/month game we all enjoy playing and learning from.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM

It's a little odd but it's not like you are making them get jobs outside the home to support themselves. You are paying them their allowance, so it's not that terrible. How do they feel about it? And also, you are saving the money FOR them, so it's really not as awful as other people think.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Quoting falloutboy: I don't think I'd go on calling it rent, that just sounds silly for kids that age. What happens when your kids start telling everyone they have to pay rent and not fully explain?

They tell people all the time and everyone assumes its some allowance based thing we have set up. No one thinks we are abusing the kids. Its $5. Not $100.
halleys_mommy_1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
That's just normal chores! What people flip out over here amazes me

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting halleys_mommy_1: Wowwwwwww. People need to chill. I think op is doing something her kids will appreciate when older.

She nver said she made them wash the floor by hand for $$ or do anything deamed unsafe. Whats cps gunna find.... kids doing CHORES for an allowance?! Jeeze. So what if she takes $5 for "rent"

Alot of parents take HALF and put it away.

Thank you. School work comes first then chores...taking garbage out, cleaning rooms, picking up the living room. NO slave labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM

The fact that you invest it for them leads me to agree with you.  It's a really good idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmao

Quoting Anonymous:

no, it's your JOB to provide them with a home....hope someone turns your ass in...you are essentially making slaves out of your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

lmao god I hope your not serious..

Quoting Anonymous:

cps don't take lightly to parents charging a 9yr old rent...they will investigate what the hell is going on in your home, and question the kids, too

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Anonymous:

no, it's your JOB to provide them with a home....hope someone turns your ass in...you are essentially making slaves out of your kids.

Turns my ass in to whom? Cps? For charging them $5/mth rent that I invest in to a stock account that they can make money on and will have enough to buy a car at 16? Ya, that's abuse/neglect.

readyforhim
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

For me that would be very young - they don't need to know about the day to day of bills in the house until they are older. That is probably a lot of chores they are doing every month too.

SageAdvice
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Mex es usted? Pido porque no se responde a mis respuestas a este post y las mías son muertos en precisa en cuanto a lo que puede acontecer a esos ninos psicologicamente y uno respondería a menos currican y un amigo que no quería entrar en una discusión con otro amigo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

It's a little odd but it's not like you are making them get jobs outside the home to support themselves. You are paying them their allowance, so it's not that terrible. How do they feel about it? And also, you are saving the money FOR them, so it's really not as awful as other people think.

Yes all the rent money goes into an account in their names to be invested.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM
That is ridiculous. My mother expected me to pay for my own lunch out of my allowance at age 12 so instead of buying lunch I'd skip it or buy something small like 35c cookie instead of a $2 sandwich. If I bought a sandwich every day I had almost nothing left for anything else including essentials like school supplies and toiletries. No teenage girl should have to choose between eating or buying sanitary pads, not when her family is quite capable of providing both. What you are doing is wrong and will bite you on the ass.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN