Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9 and 13 y/o pay rent....every month

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My 9 and 13 y/os pay rent out of their allowance every month. They get between $10 and $50 a month depending on how many chores they do that month. They each pay $5/ mth for rent. I'm getting them used to paying bills at a young age so when they're older it won't be a shock. I take the rent money and save it for them or invest it in a stock account for them when they turn 18.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

UPDATE: Everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. This rent issue is actually a very small part of our lives and the kids like to choose where to invest their money every month. And yes iI supplement this amount too. They are learning a little about investments and money management. They are very much loved and all their needs are well taken care of by myself. Its actually more likea game than paying serious rrent. They are living their childhoods as kids, not little adults paying bills, etc. DS13 is in all honors classes at school, plays football and does track. DD9 gets straight As, does dance and basketball. They are not slaves. They have chores to do daily and I can afford to pay them usually $50/month in allowance. Sometimes it varies. So chill out everyone. I'm not damaging them psychologically and there is no abuse or neglect. For goodness sakes, its a $5/month game we all enjoy playing and learning from.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (501-506):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

This makes no sense.

I'm assuming, given their ages, that you are still making all the rules and expectations for around the house, correct?

Assuming as much, requiring them to pay rent, to ready them for adult life, would mean they have control over the atmosphere in which they live - like an adult would.

I make all the rules but have them make many decisions under my guidance. They're learning to make good choices in life. However they make some poor choices and are seeing the consequences of poor choices.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 86 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

That is stupid to make young kids pay rent. Now when they are 18 and still living with you that would be different. But hopefully they would have a job.

amberlina2003
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
So if our kids do chores is that also child slavery? or is it teaching them hard work, responsibility and how to help out?

Quoting Anonymous:

no, it's your JOB to provide them with a home....hope someone turns your ass in...you are essentially making slaves out of your kids.

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
That's awesome but it's called chores
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids how to save and manage money.  My son is 5, he gets $5 a week for his chores...which include feeding the cats once a day, letting his dog outside to go to the washroom 2x a day and rinsing the dishes as I wash once a day and of course picking up his toys nightly....We have him put $2 away in his bank and he gets to keep the rest to do with whatever he pleases.  He enjoys watching his bank fill up :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 84 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's silly, but to each their own.

I don't think it's abuse like some make it seem, lol. I mean you aren't kicking them out if they don't "pay rent" are you?

No absolutely not. Its more of a game than seriously paying rent. Everyone has blown this way out of proportion..lol.

I literally lol at the ones who say they hope cps or whoever else gets called on you! Too funny. It's not something I would do, but it's definitely not abuse lmao.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)