Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dh's dead ex wife's sister. Can I tell her to back off? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 148 Replies

I have known dh and his ex my whole life, we were all childhood friends and grew up together. Well he married her and I married our other friend, shortly after dh and Kelly got married she got pregnant. They had a baby girl but things fell apart for them, they got divorced after she got caught sleeping with my husband... So I got divorced also. 2 years later, she died in a car accident. Dh and I connected over having mixed emotions about her death. 

We got married pretty much right away and had a child of our own. I adopted his dd as mine because she was like my child, I loved her just the same. I had been in her life since the day she was born.

So now, her we are 6 years later, Kelly sister has been butting her head in to our business a lot lately, she just found out that I adopted oldest dd and is not happy about it. She says that I am not her mother and I could never replace her mom.... She also went off on my dh for getting married so quickly after Kelly died, they had been divorced for 2 years... She also keeps tying to impose her parenting techniques on to me... My girls are 8 and 6... I think I have figured something out by now.

Can I tell her kindly to get off my back? Or do I have to deal since her sister died?

I wanted to add that dh and myself have made sure to include Kelly's family in every event that dd does. They have been to every birthday, every school play... They come visits when ever they like, they are a wonderful family, and we could never ever shut them out.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
8 moms liked this
Sounds like a Lifetime movie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Ok? Well do you think it would be rude to tell her to mind her own?

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like a Lifetime movie.

kaysha
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM
What a tangled web!
csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM
5 moms liked this

Forget kindly.  Tell her to butt the fuck out.

RoseWildflower
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM
3 moms liked this
She probably feels like you've replaced her sister. Reassure her that this is not the case. Explain that you are only looking after her daughter because she needs a mother figure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM

It really isn't any more, we had a strange start but it's been years now... We are just like a normal everyday family.

Quoting kaysha: What a tangled web!

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup i would straight up tell her to fuck off, then i would ignore every word out of her mouth from then on
zacmacsmomm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM

No, it wouldn't be rude.  You are the girls mom, you are the one that has been taking care of her all these years, not their aunt

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM
I think all of you are in the wrong and no I don't think you should tell her off. Her sister died...I would be protective too
mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM
6 moms liked this

She *is* her aunt....that said, yes..you can tell her to back off. 

She is now your daughter aand you have every right to tell her that you will parent the way you see fit and you do not need her unsolicited advice. Also, you need to tell her that you are her mother...tell her that your daughter is so very lucky because she has a mother that loved her while she was here, now she has you as another mother...she is also blessed to have an aunt that loves her, but it does not give her the right to poison your new daughter against you and her father. Period. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)