Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Dirty Little Secret Moms Are Hiding About Their Christmas Trees

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 205 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Dirty Little Secret Moms Are Hiding About Their Christmas Trees

by Adriana Velez

christmas treeA fresh evergreen Christmas tree, or an artificial tree? That is the question! I grew up with fake trees and had a perfectly happy childhood. But as an adult I've bought only fresh trees. I just couldn't quite bring myself to buy an artificial one ... that is, until I found out how many other moms are going with the perma-tree. The Prowl surveyed moms and found out a whopping 72 percent of you plan on decking an artificial tree this year. Check out the infographic below.

Contemplating going artificial this year? Here are a few tips for picking out the right tree and what to do with it.

1. Measure! You knew this already, but I just want to mention it in case. Look at how tall you can go and how wide. Where are you putting it? Make sure there's about a foot of clearance above your tree and maybe a foot or two around it.

2. Get a pre-lit Christmas tree. I didn't even know this was out there, but I love the idea. You can buy a tree that comes already strung with lights. Brilliant! For that matter, some trees come pre-decorated, too, if you want an extra one not filled with special family baubles, or maybe if you're in a temporary space this year.

3. Hinged or hook-in? Hinged trees are already pretty much put together and are easiest to set up, but they're also more expensive. Hook-ins are the IKEA of Christmas trees -- you'll need to assemble it yourself. But they're less expensive.

4. Get PE needles, not PVC. PE trees tend to have a more realistic look than PVC needles, which are attached to branches via wires. PVC needles also release toxic byproducts into your home. On the other hand, if you're OK with the fake look, you might as well go all the way and get an all-tinsel tree, which can be fun.

5. Check branches for sturdiness. Jiggle the display tree a bit to make sure this tree can handle all those heavy, clay ornaments your kids keep making.

6. Check the warranty. It's maybe not the most sentimental thing to consider, but as long as you're buying something you can store in the basement, it's a good idea to make sure it'll last at least 10 years.

Check out The Prowl for a full-size image of this graphic.

the prowl fake christmas trees

Do you use an artificial tree or do you buy a fresh tree every Christmas?

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessimicuh
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Artificial. my daughters allergic to pine, cedar, oak...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Fake because the real ones around here are expensive and scrawny
sharonsolo
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Artificial. I can't stand the smell of pine. I know I'm the only one but I hate real trees.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Fake. Cheaper in the long run and not wasting a tree ever year.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KRC
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

We get a real one but we don't buy it.   We go up country and cut our own down.

countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

We usually buy a real tree but we do have an artificial one for those years that we couldn't get to the tree farm. We may be using that one every year now because the tree farm we usually go to is closing and there isn't another one near. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Fake this year.  DH is deployed over the holidays, and my oldest wanted to leave the tree up until he comes home.  I thought it was a sweet idea, and so a fake tree it is.

kaysha
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Fake and prelit
Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
We put up a real tree this year. First time we've had a live tree in several years.
GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

My bhusband is allergic we get a fake one so he is not ugly looking and feeling. Dont get a prelit. You know how you feel when youre trying to replace all the dea lights on a string outside? same issue. Gow ith normal and change your lights to match your theme ever year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN