Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you a "helicopter" parent?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 115 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you a "helicopter" parent?

Options:

YES, I hover and do everything in my power to help my kids succeed

NO, I believe in backing off and letting kids work through challenges on their own

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 265

View Results

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I'm guilty of voting yes. He's getting older though, and I'm trying to do better.

StarLight23
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No. I've learned it's best just to help when needed so they know what their strengths are and to know when, who and how to ask for help.

My ds is really independent, but there are some things I still help him with that I don't think he's ready to do by himself yet.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
7 moms liked this
I'm happily in the middle.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Me, too. The good thing is that my husband is on the other end of the spectrum. We balance each other out, usually. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm guilty of voting yes. He's getting older though, and I'm trying to do better.

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
4 moms liked this
Both. Certain things I hover about (car seats, noy running away from me in public, etc) and others I'm not. I don't think my child is going to die if she falls and scrapes her knee.
erikays
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Guilty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I'm helicopterish when it comes to safety. I present the kids with information, but I like them to reason and think about it...interpret the world around them...similar with their school work too. But I'm there whenever they need me.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

My husband freaked out yesterday because there was a stepladder that was closed and leaning against the couch, and our 2 year old was walking up it like a ramp to get to the couch.  He's all "GRAB HIM!!!" I'm sitting close enough that if I had put out my elbow I would have bumped him, so I just watched to make sure he had it, and then went back to watching the other two put up ornaments on the tree.  If my kids act like they actually need help, I will definitely get in there, but for the most part I encourage them to work out their own problems (within reason obviously).

Jblb
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I've been told I'm a smart mom!!
First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Hell no. I raise my children to be independent people on their own and solve their own problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)