Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms of special needs kids help please!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 83 Replies

Mobile Photo

My daughters girlscout troop adopted a special Ed class it is grades 3rd-6th. They where gives a paper with the child's name and something they wanted my daughter picked a little girl that said she wanted a Snow White doll. I found this and picked it up while i was out yesterday but after finding out the grades I'm worried it's too young. What do you think?? I know it really depends in the child's development but since all we have is a name and wish it makes it a bit harder.
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, it does seem like it might be a little childish, especially if the child is closer to 6th grade than third. My DS11 has special needs, but he enjoys the things that other 11 year olds enjoy, so while the recipient may enjoy a doll of this sort, there is a chance that it will be a bit too baby-ish. Is there no way to contact the school and get an age for the giftee?

I would probably lean towards something more like a Barbie-doll style rather than a baby-doll, if they make 'em (I know nothing about toys for girls, all my kids are boys, lol). Good luck!

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I'm worried about I mean according to the troop leader it's a special day class so maybe it's ok but I don't know... I don't even know the name of the school to call lol! Maybe I'll send a pic to her troop leader and ask her.

Quoting Superlaura328:

Yeah, it does seem like it might be a little childish, especially if the child is closer to 6th grade than third. My DS11 has special needs, but he enjoys the things that other 11 year olds enjoy, so while the recipient may enjoy a doll of this sort, there is a chance that it will be a bit too baby-ish. Is there no way to contact the school and get an age for the giftee?

I would probably lean towards something more like a Barbie-doll style rather than a baby-doll, if they make 'em (I know nothing about toys for girls, all my kids are boys, lol). Good luck!

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Bump! Help a sister out here!!!
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Why do special needs kids need someone else to buy them toys?

So they can feel like freakish charity cases?
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I would find out just how special needs these kids are. My son loves younger toys but he also is very mechanically inclined. If she wants a snow white dill maybe get her a snow white barbie?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM

My 7 year old is not special needs, but she just yesterday picked out a toddler Elsa doll.  So I don't think it's too young.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Wow your cruel. Sometimes it is nice to make people feel special.

Quoting ivegotrhythm: Why do special needs kids need someone else to buy them toys?

karrahM
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

It does appear young. I taught sped ed grades 4-7th and for the most part, my students socially were age appropriate. 

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh gezus!! I'm sorry my daughters troop is trying to do something NICE! The school is in a low income area and they are also taking slippers, blankets and socks to a nursing home. In February they are working at a homeless shelter and last year the donated $500 to a family that has 2 kids with cp that needed new wheel chairs.

Quoting ivegotrhythm: Why do special needs kids need someone else to buy them toys?

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
I just checked with the troop leader and she said it is perfect so I guess we will stick with what we got.

Quoting gypsy_rose: I would find out just how special needs these kids are. My son loves younger toys but he also is very mechanically inclined. If she wants a snow white dill maybe get her a snow white barbie?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)