Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh - I just want to cry

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

My son is struggling with school.  REALLY struggling with school.  He was diagnosed by a peditrician with a processing disorder earlier this year so we went through the IEP process to see if we could get some extra help and because he tests at normal cognitive level and no learning disabilities and because he is not two years behind in his academic achievements (he's like a half a year to a year behind) the school cannot do anything for him.   I just want to cry.  This kid DESPERATELY needs help.   It takes him 3 hours to do an hour of homework each night and he is constantly getting in trouble for not paying attention and lying to us and his teacher about getting his work done.   He basically told the school social worker that he doesn't care about school because no matter how hard he tries, he fails.    They've told us we need to get him into counseling and possibly medication for depression but academically they can't help him. 

He is 11 in 5th grade.  He has a late birthday so he's one of the oldest in his class already.  Holding him back is not our first choice. 

I don't know what to do...  I just want to cry for him.  I am so frustrated.

One quick edit:  A few people have suggested homeschooling him.  Unfortunately, with our family situation this is not an option.  My husband works a contract job so, with three kids, I have to work for health insurance benefits and Obamacare doesn't give us additional options either (I had hoped it would) - it would cost double what I pay to get a HDP (and right now we have an HMO) and if we take away my income, we can't afford to pay double AND have a high deductible.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

BUMP!

Lennyloves
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
If that were my situation, i would sign him up for tutoring. It may be expensive. I'd consider making a craigslist add looking for college student majoring in education or see if one of my teacher friends would like to make a little extra cash for tutoring.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

We do have him in tutoring - it costs a TON and doesn't really seem to be helping him get ahead, but at least he's not falling further behind.

Quoting Lennyloves: If that were my situation, i would sign him up for tutoring. It may be expensive. I'd consider making a craigslist add looking for college student majoring in education or see if one of my teacher friends would like to make a little extra cash for tutoring.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM
ADD/ADHD?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

They have ruled out both already.  He has been diagnosed with a processing disorder that has led to severe anxiety and depression.

Quoting Anonymous: ADD/ADHD?

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Mama, I got nothing useful =( Big hugs and I hope things get better. Bump for help, maybe someone can point you in a direction that will help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

homeschool

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

My son has a processing disorder as well. The only thing I can tell you is repition. Do it over and over and over. Find ways to make his learning fun. My son was obessed with hot wheels and we used them for math. Spelling is still a struggle because his processing disorder is combined with medium level hearing loss from nerve damage. Make a big deal about him getting things done and when he does well. If he fails an assignment praise him on the ones he DOES get right and tell him next time, just get ONE more (or 1%) right. Its an easy obtainable goal. Tutoring is good but I found that it is more of an overload. Find teachable moments, spend the time with him to find the way he learns and work with that. My son is a visual learner. He needs to be shown, have it written down in front of him or on a video.

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Some people are just a little slower than others, everyone is not meant to be rocket scientists.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM
When you find out let me know. My DS (6) is having the same problems with school. The peds have diagnosed him as ADHD with sensory issues but I don't think they are right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN