Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Me and my horrible, no good,awfull,very bad day

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 35 Replies
First, thanks for all the support last night!

Okay, so to begin. Every year my mil takes the whole family (minus my stbx) to a Christmas pagent in "the big city " about an hour and a half out of town. We leave right after church. I work at church, so between the service, travel, pagent and dinner it's a twelve hour day.

This would be a novel if I listed everything that went wrong so I'll just list the main point :my severely ADHD kid with sensory issues did not take his meds. Although he swore over and over that he did. So I wasn't confident giving them because I didn't want to overdose.

If you never believed in ADHD, you would if you'd seen him yesterday. It was like an overacted parody of a cartoon, except it was real . He couldn't control his body, his voice, his impulses. Gestures that usually sooth or refocus him just agitated him.

I removed him from the situation at least six times during the pagent and dinner to try to get him together but he was overestimated and overtired and nothing was working.

I couldn't just take him home, which is what he needed, because we were more than an hour from home and I didn't drive.

We usually love this day and for the first time my parents joined us so we were really looking forward to it.

We didn't get to socialize with anyone. Not his cousins, aunt or uncles, grandparents. It was one long nightmare of trying to keep him under control.

He's ten, btw. And it was my birthday.
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Is this the post bcoll told you to make?

ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Yes! LOL!

I'm amazed someone noticed!

Quoting Anonymous:

Is this the post bcoll told you to make?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Why didn't you take a dose, just in case?

(((Hugs))))

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That stinks. Make sure you always carry a dose of his meds from now on since it's a huge difference between when he does and doesn't take it. Happy belated Birthday! 

ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Actually, I did!

My neighbors were robbed last week :electronics, jewelry, and meds. So I've been blinged out with a heavy pharmacy of a purse all week.

But he insisted over and over he'd taken them and when it was crystal clear he hadn't, it was too late unless I wanted him up all night.

In hindsight, I should have.

Quoting Anonymous:

(((Hugs))))

ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Thanks!

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

That stinks. Make sure you always carry a dose of his meds from now on since it's a huge difference between when he does and doesn't take it. Happy belated Birthday! 

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I don't know much about the meds, so please excuse me if this is an ignorant question... Can you give a half dose in cases like his or is there something for emergencies (think asthma... Long term meds and meds for attacks)?

I'm sorry. My son is borderline ASD and when he has a bad day it does suck bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh ok. Sounds dreadful.

kuoting ivegotrhythm: Actually, I did!

My neighbors were robbed last week :electronics, jewelry, and meds. So I've been blinged out with a heavy pharmacy of a purse all week.

But he insisted over and over he'd taken them and when it was crystal clear he hadn't, it was too late unless I wanted him up all night.

In hindsight, I should have.

Quoting Anonymous:

(((Hugs))))

ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM
That's a good question. His doctor mentioned something about that and I need to ask more questions!

I've never been in this situation before.

Quoting JamesMom714: I don't know much about the meds, so please excuse me if this is an ignorant question... Can you give a half dose in cases like his or is there something for emergencies (think asthma... Long term meds and meds for attacks)?

I'm sorry. My son is borderline ASD and when he has a bad day it does suck bad!
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN