Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I throat punched the principal. this is long..but I need input.***more in red**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 189 Replies

Not really, but I wanted too.

We got a note last Thursday informing us that there would be a safety drill tomorrow (12/10). No big deal, UNTIL:

I knew it would be lockdown drill, what I didn't know is the extent to which they were going to play it out.

This drill was coordinated by the school principal and the resources officer (AKA rent-a-cop). 

I have a friend who works in the high school office and overheard the resource officer (who works all campuses) talking about how this drill would play out.

1. The track coach at the high school was going to be the shooter. He would walk in the school at some point in the afternoon and fire off a track starting pistol to signal the beginning of the drill. He would then, attempt to enter the classrooms during the lockdown portion, and yell and scream through the doors.

2. Two secrataries were going to play gun-shot victims and position themselves in the hallways screaming, and yes, there will be fake blood.

3. After the Police department SWAT teams comes in with their equipment and "secures the premises" the children will then be walked 4 blocks to a church that would serve as their safe place.

4. All the firetrucks, ambulances, police cars etc would be placed in the streets surrounding the schools.

Come to find out, the superintendent of our school district knew about the drill, but DID NOT KNOW what the principal and resource officer had planned. Luckily, my friend who works in the office relayed it to him, then myself so I could warn other parents.

The superintendent immediately put a halt to it. But I was LIVID. I went to the school to speak with the principal.

I asked her why the superintendent didn't know?

She claims she didn't know that the superintendent didn't know, and told me how that type of drill would be beneficial for kids ages 4-8.

I asked her why the ONLY person at the fire department to know was a leuitenant?

She wanted to know how I knew that, and refused to actually answer. (my stepdad is a retired captain, and another parent I spoke with beforehand is a firefighter, and I also talked to guys who are on shift tomorrow)

I ask her about the "gunshot"?

She answers "there will be no gunshot, we wouldn't do that"...two sentences later reveals to me that the "shooter" would fire a track pistol.

They put out a statement saying the drill had been cancelled because of weather and would reschedule a date......they were too chicken to reveal that it got canceled because someone found out their true plans.

When I walked out of the office, word had gotten around and the entire waiting lobby was full of parents ready to talk to her.

I don't think this magnitude of drill is appropriate for children age 4-8. Lockdown drills are a necessity, yes, but I think this is WAY overboard!.....they could just as easily do a simple lockdown (classdoor locked, lights off, under your desk) and then talk about possible bad guys to these kids.

Agree or disagree?

I understand not everyone is going to "believe" or "agree" with this. I didn't expect everyone too. For those of you who understand my concern as a parent, thank you. For those who don't..wait until something like this is sprung on your at your child's school.

We could get into a the bigger picture here about how this isn't limited to the school. The call of the "active" shooter goes out over the county emergency scanner, and not everyone reads online, or the paper to know when these things happen...and they can actually cause more harm than good from people on the outside.

The gore, is overboard. Period. I will be making a phone call to our central office in the morning to speak with the Superintendent again, since my dad alread has and re-express my concerns about this, as well as the principal and her inablity to own up to anything.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I'm sorry I didn't read it all but I got the jist. What the fuck??? Are they trying to traumatize the kids?
I get that if a real situation happened, it may emotionally wreck the kids but this drill is too far.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh goodness. That is very excessive.

miisha
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I agree with you.
anotherhalf
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
11 moms liked this

Now I wish you had punched her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I would be PISSED, too.  WHAT THE FUCK!?

trabruno59
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I agree with the previous posters it is extremely excessive for that age group and I don't know how you kept from harming the idiots wjo thought this was ok.
sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

My son is 5, and I would be pissed if they did that. How traumatizing would that be? My son has to be forewarned about fire drills for goodness sakes. If his school went through with what you're describing, he'd be too terrified to ever go back. 

sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM
omfg.

wow
Osstie
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Yes I agree with you.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Oh goodness. That is very excessive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)