Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you refrigerate your butter?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 111 Replies

We always refrigerated our butter.

Fast forward to when I was in my teens and working as a mother's helper/babysitter for a woman from Canada.  I would always do various chores in the house such as loading and unloading the dishwasher and I would see that she left her butter out, which I would put in the fridge.  If I didn't see it out on the counter, then it was up in a cabinet.  Keep in mind that I grew up with a binge drinker and if he was on a tear, I would find things in the strangest places (ie milk in the cabinet).  So if I found it, in the cabinet, I just assumed someone indulged in too much cheer the night before. 

Nope, turns out that she was hiding it from me and thought I was weird for putting her butter in the fridge.  After that, I left alone and just figured she was cuckoo.  (Granted we were living in FL at the time and I figured for sure the butter would spoil).

I mentioned it years ago somewhere else and was told I was weird for refrigerating my butter.  And then I learned about butter keepers which allow you to keep it colder, but not the kind of cold you keep in the refrigerator. 

So do you refrigerate your butter?  I think I need to look into those butter keepers personally so that I don't have to remember to take out the butter a half hour before I want toast (which is what I am patiently waiting for right now before my day starts, MIL left a few slices of her delicious GF raisin bread for me).

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWildflower
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Yes we do
imakehimscream
by He screams on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Yes
Karen_29
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Yes I do
ZombieChicken
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
We usually don't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM

We buy Amish butter, it's salted and made freshly all the time, so we can leave it out, no problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I always refrigerate mine, it's refrigerated at the store when I buy it
TatyBear
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I'm from Canada and.its kept out. Not ever in the fridge. How.do you butter with hard butter? Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Yes we so.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Yes, I do.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I keep a stick in the fridge and one out in the butter dish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)