Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you consider "smoking around kids"?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 13 Replies
After a conversation with a friend it got me wondering...when you say/hear the phrase "she smokes around her kids" or "I don't smoke around my kids", what do you think?
In the car/house? Within 5 feet while outdoors? Pushing a stroller and puffing away?
Cigarettes, of course.
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM

any time the children are physically present

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I would think that means you don't do it in the house or car or anywhere where they can see you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I think that if they can see it or if it is in a place that they go it is still smoking around my kids. We have had people laugh at us because we won't allow anyone to smoke in our house or cars even when the kids are not with us.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM

It is my opinion that smoking around kids means you are a smoker that is around children any point in time. So, you might smoke outside of your home, but you bring your smoke into the house with you on your clothes, hair, etc. or you might smoke in your car when your children are not present, but your smoking residue lingers on the seats.

Is that extreme? Yes. But you asked for our opinion. =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM

smoking and having kids is smoking around your children.

that shit sticks in your clothes, hair, skin.  yuck.

tattedmommi
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I have a smoke room, the kids know but id rather it's not directly in their face
BambiF
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Not too harsh lol, I'm genuinely curious what most people mean by this phrase :)

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

It is my opinion that smoking around kids means you are a smoker that is around children any point in time. So, you might smoke outside of your home, but you bring your smoke into the house with you on your clothes, hair, etc. or you might smoke in your car when your children are not present, but your smoking residue lingers on the seats.

Is that extreme? Yes. But you asked for our opinion. =)

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM

If you smoke where your kids can't escape the smoke or is in a close radius to you, then that is what I consider "smoking around the kids."

So if you're in the house or the car smoking, or if you have your children are buckled in a stroller and you're right next to them.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Anywhere that there is no fresh air.  Examples would be anywhere in the house, a car, a bus shelter, while carrying my child, in a tent. I never saw an issue with smoking outside while my son was playing or while we were walking. I just made sure the wind was blowing it away. (when I smoked! I am on 8 months no cigs)

BambiF
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
My friend didn't consider smoking outside with the kids nearby smoking around them, as the smoke gets distributed in the air unlike indoors where it's trapped. I disagreed but didn't pester her.
I think you should be a reasonable distance away even if you're outdoors.
I won't smoke in my backyard with them out there because it's a small area, like 12x12.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)