Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Foster child help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
Very long story short. MIL has been fostering her cousins daughters for over two years. The girls will be officially adopted by her in February. The middle girl, 16 is becoming more and more of a challenge. Having sex, being physically and verbally abusive to the family, stealing, lying, absolutely refusing to follow the rules. FD is in counseling, and is on anti depressants. MIL is at the end of her ropes, ready to send her to another foster home. I told her to wait until the adoption goes through and will figure something out. Is military school an option? Does anyone know of any programs in Washington State, Texas, or even Oklahoma that we could send her to get her help, structure and discipline and hopefully straighten her out?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abrine7673
by Awesome Possum on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Well.... from experience counceling medication and being locked in a psych ward on 3 separate occasions did me no good.

I really have no idea I'm sorry.
TatyBear
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I don't think it will help at all. IMO

She has gone through enough in her life and boot camp is not the answer. Believe me when I say this.

Needs more extensive therapy. Not just counseling will help but therapy.

And a lot of tough love.

Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Like how, what intensive therapy is out there?

Quoting TatyBear: I don't think it will help at all. IMO

She has gone through enough in her life and boot camp is not the answer. Believe me when I say this.

And a lot of tough love.

Good luck
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Check into the aspen education group. They have boarding programs that are therapy based.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM
bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much!

Quoting lovemymini: Check into the aspen education group. They have boarding programs that are therapy based.
luvmybug
by Amanda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I would start checking into treatment facilities for out of control kids. They will have med regulations, on site counselors, and more intensive therapy sessions.
BobKitten13
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I will see if I can find the post from a foster parent that deals with the trouble makers. She seemed to do amazing and she may be able to help. Really though if your MIL is thinking about sending her to another foster home, it may be what needs to do. Once this child is adopted there is no way out. She has the choice to not adopt her though. Some kids are too much to handle. We all know that.
holyhoola
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Teen Challenge, Kansas City, Mo. It is a Christian based all girls Residential Treatment Center. It's a fifteen month program.
TatyBear
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Just seeing a therapist and even a psychologist maybe.

Acting out due to.living arrangements. All that guilt and anger for being in Foster care. She needs help to cope with it.

All that needs to be done.is a call to case worker and they should be able to put you all in the right direction to get help.

They do it like that here. But I'm in Canada so I have no idea what all your resources are when it comes to Foster homes there. But here they automatically do therapy and psychological evaluation on all children in long term Foster care to help with any issues they may have built up inside.

And teen hormones as well. She just needs someone to.listen to her and she needs to feel better about her situation. I don't know why she is in Foster care but kids/teens take it hard in many different ways. Withdrawn or acting out etc....

Quoting Anonymous: Like how, what intensive therapy is out there?

Quoting TatyBear: I don't think it will help at all. IMO

And a lot of tough love.

Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)