Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**EDIT** Advice on dealing with difficult people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 253 Replies
1 mom liked this

My best friend is extremely difficult, she makes everything a fight, and honestly she just makes my life misserable.  She is single, well in a relationship, but not married, no children; I am married, have children, she just doesn't get it.  She expects me to drop everything at a moments notice.  That is only the tip of the iceberg, she loves to fight, I swear she does, becasue why else would she be soo difficult??

Does anyone have tips on how to deal with people like this?  Is there any hope for us to ever have peace??

**UPDATE**
Ok all, I have really been thinking the last couple weeks & realize I need to end this friendship. I have gone through all the comments & realized I have to take control of my own life. So, I'm searching & asking for tips, suggestions, any help & advice I can get on how to proceed. I obviously want to do this as tactfully as possible, I know she won't accept it regardless of how I handle this, but I just want to handle it kindly & maturely.

So far all I have done is cut back on contact with her. I just not sure what to do next. I know a couple people mentioned delete & block her from social media, I need to do that today.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Bump
stacy8606
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
15 moms liked this
Why is she your best friend if she makes your life miserable and difficult? Not trying to start a fight I just don't understand
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you need to just be her friend, but she is definitely not your best friend.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM
4 moms liked this

No I don't think there is ever going to be peace, once she gets married and has kids , she will compare your husband and kids. I had a friend like this, everything she was jealous of, she started fights with me all the time. Lets put it this way, she was always a few steps behind me , and that bothered her. ex) I got married first, my first 2 yrs of marriage, all she kept telling me , was being married was the suckiest thing I could ever do, then she got married, everything there was fine then. For 1 yr I listened to her put down my tattoo and how I was defiling my body, until she got her tattoo, then everything was fine.. She compared our kids all the time , but weird stuff, like if my dd came home with a straight A report card, my friend would tell me her son was popular...

So much better now that I dont have her in my life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't if I don't have to. That does not sound like a friend
Rhodin
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I know it can be difficult to make new friends when you're a mom, but honestly, it seems you'd be better off distancing yourself from her.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Idk, good luck with her. She sounds selfish, sorry. 

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
And why is she you best friend?
1RedHottMama
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't deal with people like that,I can't stand drama and won't be dragged into it by anyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM
4 moms liked this

I've had three friends like that.  I've lost two of them. 

They are toxic, with the two I ditched, there was more to the story.  the one was co-dependent and had an "auditory processing dissability" according to her.  I would say "maybe" or "no, not right now" to things, and she'd show up to do them anyway and it would cause a fight if I put my foot down and told her I SAID NO!  Things had to be her way, and it was exhausing and draining being her friend. That's when I knew it was time to move on.  That, and she feeds her kids pills like candy.  An 11 year old on ADHD meds, psych meds, sleep meds, depression meds, etc. . . the kid takes more pills in one morning than my 90 year old great aunt. 

The other was a one-upper. . . .I got a new car I happen to love.  Most people think it's ugly.  A toyota FJ cruiser.  I just like it.  I like I can hose it out, I like it's easy to clean, and I can damn near climb over an ice mountain with it.  It fits our style, we love to camp and go well off the beaten path.  She just has to bash it. . . She wanted me to take her for a ride, then she proceeds to flat out say she doesnt like it and its ugly.  Then SHE gets a new car.  My kids got a 4 wheeler from their grandpa ( a dealer) and She says how it's a horrible parenting choice and her child is not allowed on it.  then she gets HER kid one. . . see the pattern?

The third has a good heart, and is usually great to be around. . . she's a single mom and has her streesed moments.  She's one of those people where if she is miserable, she wants everyone else to be.  But out of all of them, she is the most stable and the better friend.  Therefore I choose to look the other way and keep my distance when she's having a rough patch. 

In any event, it's your life.  Weigh the pros and cons and decide what is best for YOU.  being free from teh bullcrap or riding out the bad patches.  It'll be different for every person. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)