Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Advice about nutmeg!!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:19 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am making pumpkin muffins for my DDs christmas party since its her last day 2morro before Christmas holidays start. 

The recipe calls for nutmeg. Is this something kids are allergic to? We can bring in homemade food as long as we bring a list of what its made with. 

Is nutmeg a no no?

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM

BUMP!

ineedcoffeemom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:24 AM

It's not a common allergy so I'd say it's probably ok. Kids are more likely to be allergic to eggs if you're putting eggs in the muffins then the nutmeg.

Autumn07
by Kat on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Kids, in general, aren't allergic to nutmeg. I've never heard of a nutmeg allergy.  BUT you just never know! So, it's good if you clearly list that. I would make them with the nutmeg.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM

About Nutmeg

Nutmeg is made from seeds to a tropical tree and used primarily as a spice in baked good and main entrees. Nutmeg is not a nut and does not contain any nut protein. If you have a nut allergy, you can use nutmeg while cooking without hesitation

Since nutmeg is not a nut, it is considered safe to eat if you’re allergic to nuts, according to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network.

From everything I looked up, nutmeg is actually a seed and not a nut.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:31 AM
My friends son is allergic to a spice, idr which one though, its not nutmeg but thought id throw it out there lol. he's only 13 months old

Quoting Autumn07:

Kids, in general, aren't allergic to nutmeg. I've never heard of a nutmeg allergy.  BUT you just never know! So, it's good if you clearly list that. I would make them with the nutmeg.

Autumn07
by Kat on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:33 AM

:( Yeah, so much we have to be aware of as parents. Sorry to hear that! You just never know... until something happens and we find out the hard way.

Quoting Anonymous: My friends son is allergic to a spice, idr which one though, its not nutmeg but thought id throw it out there lol. he's only 13 months old

Quoting Autumn07:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Eat a spoonful for fun! :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

About Nutmeg

Nutmeg is made from seeds to a tropical tree and used primarily as a spice in baked good and main entrees. Nutmeg is not a nut and does not contain any nut protein. If you have a nut allergy, you can use nutmeg while cooking without hesitation

Since nutmeg is not a nut, it is considered safe to eat if you’re allergic to nuts, according to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network.

From everything I looked up, nutmeg is actually a seed and not a nut.

thanks

JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM

I dont think this Pre school class has any egg allergies but I have it all listed just incase. Its the first time I have made anything for the class and as I was about to put the nutmeg in the word "nut" stood out and I thought uh oh. Better ask CM lol

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

It's not a common allergy so I'd say it's probably ok. Kids are more likely to be allergic to eggs if you're putting eggs in the muffins then the nutmeg.

JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 5:49 AM

oh good to know :) and yeah def listed lol Just wrote it out then 

Quoting Autumn07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)