Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It happens every year!!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM
  • 234 Replies
10 moms liked this
So, I live in northern Indiana. It gets cold. And snowy. Happens every year around this time.

Well, we had our first "FUCK it's cold" day yesterday. -1 with a windchill of -16. Still not that bad to me after living in upstate NY and the interior of AK. Lol. School wasn't delayed(our corporation just doesn't delay ever), so I bundled my boys and the baby up and took them to school like every other day.

Social media has blown up. Apparently parents feel as though EVERYTHING should have shut down. "Poor kids had to walk", "poor kids had to wait for busses", "the busses were too cold".

It's fucking winter. This weather happens every year. Don't want your child to walk? Drive them. Don't want them out waiting for the bus? Track it online with the GPS they all have installed and send junior out at the last minute. Bus too cold for your kid? Drive them.

Or, if they felt the weather was too treacherous, make the executive decision to keep your child home. My school district is known for staying open when everyone else is closed. And I did make the decision one day last year to not send my kids. I have to drive them, and I wasn't comfortable with the road conditions. I understand, there can be health concerns for some kids being in the cold, by the needs if those few don't get to dictate what happens for an entire corporation.
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EvaTheDiva2
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Upstate ny rarely ever gets to -16. And if it did. My kid would stay home. And i agree with you.
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I said the same thing the other day... except about Wyoming.
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Sub zero air temps(not factoring wind chill) don't happen that often here either. Maybe a handful of days a year. It happens often enough though that anyone who has lived here for a single winter knows that it's a possibility.

Our school corporation has closed ONCE for temperatures that anyone can remember. And it was when I was in 6th grade(I'm 30 now lol); and that was because air temps were almost -20 with a windchill of -40. The entire city damn near closed down for that one.

Quoting EvaTheDiva2: Upstate ny rarely ever gets to -16. And if it did. My kid would stay home. And i agree with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Wow In your car or waiting at the bus stop?

ardan85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly!!!! Or..... Move south! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM

first "FUCK it's cold" day

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:14 AM

are you serious? You sound like my 25 year old son.

Quoting ardan85: Exactly!!!! Or..... Move soare you seriousuth! Lol

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Lol I'm in indiana too... and I know what you mean. I'm from Colorado though!
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Every time I read these ridiculously cold/winter post I am so thankful I live in Tampa. My blood just couldn't take it. You should see me when it is in the 50s. Ha!

Hope you and babies stay warm!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.e.b.b.l.e.s
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I live in central Indiana and our schools were on a 2hr delay.  I made the "executive decision" to keep my kids home yesterday and called them in sick.  Of course it was 2 degrees this time yesterday morning (with the wind chill taking it way below 0)  

I am kind of miffed there isn't a 2hr delay this morning since it is only 18 degrees.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)