Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It happens every year!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
So, I live in northern Indiana. It gets cold. And snowy. Happens every year around this time.

Well, we had our first "FUCK it's cold" day yesterday. -1 with a windchill of -16. Still not that bad to me after living in upstate NY and the interior of AK. Lol. School wasn't delayed(our corporation just doesn't delay ever), so I bundled my boys and the baby up and took them to school like every other day.

Social media has blown up. Apparently parents feel as though EVERYTHING should have shut down. "Poor kids had to walk", "poor kids had to wait for busses", "the busses were too cold".

It's fucking winter. This weather happens every year. Don't want your child to walk? Drive them. Don't want them out waiting for the bus? Track it online with the GPS they all have installed and send junior out at the last minute. Bus too cold for your kid? Drive them.

Or, if they felt the weather was too treacherous, make the executive decision to keep your child home. My school district is known for staying open when everyone else is closed. And I did make the decision one day last year to not send my kids. I have to drive them, and I wasn't comfortable with the road conditions. I understand, there can be health concerns for some kids being in the cold, by the needs if those few don't get to dictate what happens for an entire corporation.
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM
So.....if their parents aren't home, is it better for them to be home all day unsupervised? And, I obviously understand some kids walk. That is something people take on when they move into a walking zone for the school.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Do you not understand that some kids walk? That their parents aren't home? 

I don't understand how you can be so careless with other people.  

Quoting JenB1983: I live a simplistic life because I understand it is a parent's job to get their child to and from school safely? Lol. Ok.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

You clearly live a very simplistic life, not everyone does.

The school also can't make decisions based off whether parents may or may not get rides for their kids. 

Plain and simple, there are walkers, and they shouldn't be walking in that weather. the school needs to account for that. It's a safety issue. 

Quoting JenB1983: Then their parents can take them to school. Or they need to have something coordinated with other parents to car pool.

You accept the responsibility of getting your child to school if you live in an area that doesn't get bussing,

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Kids shouldnt be walkig to school in that. 

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Why shouldn't they be home if there is no school?....or the school district can be responsible enough to have a delay until it's safer for the kids to walk. 

Quoting JenB1983: So.....if their parents aren't home, is it better for them to be home all day unsupervised? And, I obviously understand some kids walk. That is something people take on when they move into a walking zone for the school.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting JenB1983: I live a simplistic life because I understand it is a parent's job to get their child to and from school safely? Lol. Ok.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

The school also can't make decisions based off whether parents may or may not get rides for their kids. 

Plain and simple, there are walkers, and they shouldn't be walking in that weather. the school needs to account for that. It's a safety issue. 

Quoting JenB1983: Then their parents can take them to school. Or they need to have something coordinated with other parents to car pool.

You accept the responsibility of getting your child to school if you live in an area that doesn't get bussing,

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

TheDoctorsWife
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk. I'm in GA. Of there's a flurry schools close
ethanlogan13
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM
If it is anything below zero are schools close. We are in Michigan.
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM
You made a comment about the children's parents not being home in response to me stating that they should get the child to school. If a parent isn't home to get them to school, why should one think they would be able to be home to supervise said child if school was delayed or cancelled?

Obviously though, we aren't going to agree on the correct action the school corporation should take. Lol

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Why shouldn't they be home if there is no school?....or the school district can be responsible enough to have a delay until it's safer for the kids to walk. 

Quoting JenB1983: So.....if their parents aren't home, is it better for them to be home all day unsupervised? And, I obviously understand some kids walk. That is something people take on when they move into a walking zone for the school.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

msmoody
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
You can track the bus? How did I not know this? I wish I was more technologically savvy!
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
People just like to complain. If it's not too cold then it is too hot. Can't please anyone.

In some defense, I live in Chicago and it is unseasonably cold right now.

But like you said, it happens every year. Deal with it.
mamaLynne74
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I say suck it up buttercup.If you can't take the cold or don't want your babies out in it......move.

msmoody
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Because they're old enough to not need a sitter, yet still a tad too young to get hypothermia.

Quoting JenB1983: You made a comment about the children's parents not being home in response to me stating that they should get the child to school. If a parent isn't home to get them to school, why should one think they would be able to be home to supervise said child if school was delayed or cancelled?

Obviously though, we aren't going to agree on the correct action the school corporation should take. Lol

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM

umm...they are obviously old enough to be home, since they are getting themselves off to school....

I think your position on this is heartless. 

Quoting JenB1983: You made a comment about the children's parents not being home in response to me stating that they should get the child to school. If a parent isn't home to get them to school, why should one think they would be able to be home to supervise said child if school was delayed or cancelled?

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)