Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It happens every year!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
So, I live in northern Indiana. It gets cold. And snowy. Happens every year around this time.

Well, we had our first "FUCK it's cold" day yesterday. -1 with a windchill of -16. Still not that bad to me after living in upstate NY and the interior of AK. Lol. School wasn't delayed(our corporation just doesn't delay ever), so I bundled my boys and the baby up and took them to school like every other day.

Social media has blown up. Apparently parents feel as though EVERYTHING should have shut down. "Poor kids had to walk", "poor kids had to wait for busses", "the busses were too cold".

It's fucking winter. This weather happens every year. Don't want your child to walk? Drive them. Don't want them out waiting for the bus? Track it online with the GPS they all have installed and send junior out at the last minute. Bus too cold for your kid? Drive them.

Or, if they felt the weather was too treacherous, make the executive decision to keep your child home. My school district is known for staying open when everyone else is closed. And I did make the decision one day last year to not send my kids. I have to drive them, and I wasn't comfortable with the road conditions. I understand, there can be health concerns for some kids being in the cold, by the needs if those few don't get to dictate what happens for an entire corporation.
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Replies (231-234):
Newmommys101
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

sounds about right for here in Indiana, I live here just south of Indy and people are like omg its going to snow 8 inches so what that happens get over it and move if you are so worried about the snow its winter and its cold this is a more normal winter around here the last couple have been easy and above normal and this is a real Indiana winter.

ToughMudderMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Am in Wisconsin it's been colder than that for the last 2 weeks. I laugh when I hear places in the south shut down over a little half inch of snow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The problem is that there are a lot of parents that don't see their kids before they leave to go to school.  These kids  don't watch the weather and could show up in a sweatshirt on what you refer to as a "fuck" it's cold day.  I was a sub for 7 years and one of our superintendants just decided if it was too cold it was too dangerous to take the chance that some of these kids could freeze to death on the way to school.

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I know what you mean. In indiana, everyone flips out over 2 inches. It's ridiculous lol

Quoting vermontmoms: I'm in Colorado and they hardly ever close. Last week it was a high of -2, -1, 0 with lows down to -16,-18, etc. For three days I drove my kids to school and it was -9, -10, -6. And we had white out conditions one day and never even got a delay.

We grow'em rugged!!!

Quoting workingmama86: Lol I'm in indiana too... and I know what you mean. I'm from Colorado though!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)