Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It happens every year!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
So, I live in northern Indiana. It gets cold. And snowy. Happens every year around this time.

Well, we had our first "FUCK it's cold" day yesterday. -1 with a windchill of -16. Still not that bad to me after living in upstate NY and the interior of AK. Lol. School wasn't delayed(our corporation just doesn't delay ever), so I bundled my boys and the baby up and took them to school like every other day.

Social media has blown up. Apparently parents feel as though EVERYTHING should have shut down. "Poor kids had to walk", "poor kids had to wait for busses", "the busses were too cold".

It's fucking winter. This weather happens every year. Don't want your child to walk? Drive them. Don't want them out waiting for the bus? Track it online with the GPS they all have installed and send junior out at the last minute. Bus too cold for your kid? Drive them.

Or, if they felt the weather was too treacherous, make the executive decision to keep your child home. My school district is known for staying open when everyone else is closed. And I did make the decision one day last year to not send my kids. I have to drive them, and I wasn't comfortable with the road conditions. I understand, there can be health concerns for some kids being in the cold, by the needs if those few don't get to dictate what happens for an entire corporation.
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I am also in northern Indiana, it's winter, it's cold. I bundled them up and sent them to the bus stop at the last minute.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Your school district sounds like it doesn't care about the safety of it's students. I think I would have a hard time sending my kids to that school. 

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Mental note to self: 

NEVER move to Indiana!!! 

I'll keep my Southern Winters. 

Honey, down here, they call school or at least delay it when there is a THREAT of snow or ice!! I've seen it happen. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh, good god.  If school around her were to shut down when it was that cold they would hardly ever be open in the winter.  Right now with the wind chill it is -34C  (-29.2F), and the high is going to be -30C (-22F) with the wind chill.  Next week we will be looking at temperatures with the windchill between -10C (3F) and -36C (-32.8F) - our children walk it is call bundling up.  Usually the only visible part of a person is the eyes and even then most wear sun glasses.

We deal with it.  They get to school the schools let them right in - no outdoor recess or activities.  I will tell you that at -10C our children will be out and active.  I have never seen school close for cold weather.  We have not even hit January-February which are the coldest months.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

You clearly live a very simplistic life, not everyone does.

The school also can't make decisions based off whether parents may or may not get rides for their kids. 

Plain and simple, there are walkers, and they shouldn't be walking in that weather. the school needs to account for that. It's a safety issue. 

Quoting JenB1983: Then their parents can take them to school. Or they need to have something coordinated with other parents to car pool.

You accept the responsibility of getting your child to school if you live in an area that doesn't get bussing,

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Kids shouldnt be walkig to school in that. 

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Lol, my sister lives in NC now and is looking at moving back up here next summer. She's not excited about winters again.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Mental note to self: 

NEVER move to Indiana!!! 

Honey, down here, they call school or at least delay it when there is a THREAT of snow or ice!! I've seen it happen. 

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Kids shouldn't be walking to school in that weather. It's not safe. 

So your school doesn't let them oout for recess or any outdoor activities, but has no issue with them walking to school? lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, good god.  If school around her were to shut down when it was that cold they would hardly ever be open in the winter.  Right now with the wind chill it is -34C  (-29.2F), and the high is going to be -30C (-22F) with the wind chill.  Next week we will be looking at temperatures with the windchill between -10C (3F) and -36C (-32.8F) - our children walk it is call bundling up.  Usually the only visible part of a person is the eyes and even then most wear sun glasses.

We deal with it.  They get to school the schools let them right in - no outdoor recess or activities.  I will tell you that at -10C our children will be out and active.  I have never seen school close for cold weather.  We have not even hit January-February which are the coldest months.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

The school also can't make decisions based off whether parents may or may not get rides for their kids. 

Plain and simple, there are walkers, and they shouldn't be walking in that weather. the school needs to account for that. It's a safety issue. 

Quoting JenB1983: Then their parents can take them to school. Or they need to have something coordinated with other parents to car pool.

You accept the responsibility of getting your child to school if you live in an area that doesn't get bussing,

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM

As I said in a different post - different climate different reaction.  Heck I would not even bat an eye at those temperatures.  My children know how to dress in the winter, you just need to dress appropriate for the weather.  If we cancelled at a temperature of -16F our schools would not run in the winter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your school district sounds like it doesn't care about the safety of it's students. I think I would have a hard time sending my kids to that school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Right I agree You havent answered my question yet did you drive  your kids or wait at the bus stop? Some parents God forbid doesnt have any other resources. Wow again !!!!!!!!!

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM

That's where I am! The foothills of the Blue Ridge. 

Quoting JenB1983: Lol, my sister lives in NC now and is looking at moving back up here next summer. She's not excited about winters again.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Mental note to self: 

NEVER move to Indiana!!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

My children live a 5 minute walk away from the school.  Everyone walks - it is reality around here we live and thrive in the area.  We are use to it and it has always been this way.  Except when I was a child we got thrown out at recess.  as I said we know how to dress and have never had one parent complain about it.  We are looking forward to the -10C that is above normal temperatures for us.  We do not have these drop off lines - if you drive you need to walk from an adjacent street anyway.  Life does not shut down because of cold temperatures - hey on the bright side at least we are not getting snow.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Kids shouldn't be walking to school in that weather. It's not safe. 

So your school doesn't let them oout for recess or any outdoor activities, but has no issue with them walking to school? lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)