Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Heated Debate: Should Gov’t Be Allowed to Force Vaccinations on Your Kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Heated Debate: Should Gov’t Be Allowed to Force Vaccinations on Your Kids?

AS SEEN ON HANNITY

New York City’s Board of Health voted Wednesday to require all children under age 6 who attend daycare or preschool to receive flu shots. Parents can only opt out of the flu vaccine if their child has medical reasons for not being able to take it. Philosophical exemptions, such as over vaccine concerns, are not allowed in New York State.  Many parents are not happy about the mandate and strongly oppose this plan.

Republican strategist Mercedes Vienna Schlapp and Democratic strategist Steve Murphy were on Hannity to debate the mandate.

Teens Arrested for Allegedly Letting Friend Drive Drunk

“This New York Board of Health, they're all appointees from the mayor,” said Republican strategist Mercedes Vienna Schlapp.  “They are very activist in their way of thinking, and they really do not believe that parents can make, and their health care providers, make the best decisions for their children?  Of course parents are outraged.”

Hannity interjected that while he himself is in favor of getting the flu shot, he believes that the opinion of parents who have strong objections against it should be respected. “They ought to be able to raise their children as they see fit.”

Greenpeace Video: Santa to Cancel Christmas Over Global Warming

"You don't have a legal right or a moral right to expose your child to disease unnecessarily," Murphy contested.  He added that the medical community is "overwhelmingly" in favor of these programs.

Hannity disagreed, "You don't have a legal or a moral right to give them a shot that in many cases makes kids sick and in a few isolated cases violently sick. You don’t have that right either!"  

“Why don’t we just hand our kids over to you, Steve, and Nanny Bloomberg because you know better how to raise our kids than we do?!” Hannity asked.

Watch the video for the full debate.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

There is no "force." The parents have clearly been given an option--don't get your child a flu shot, then don't come back.

April620
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM
This.

Quoting all4muttz: No, no, and no. End of discussion.
Pixers
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I never get the flu shot, I'm that odd duck that gets massively ill from it. Twice I've gotten it and twice I've been threatened with being admitted into the hospital I was so sick.  

Yeah, no...

BUT mine is a medically documented reason, I think if you are in a 'public' setting (school, nursing, daycare) you should get preventative vaccines, and yes I think some jobs should require it (nursing), but have the government mandate that shit? oh HELL no.... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

You people have allowed the PA, the NDAA, the NSA and more? Why the heck do you care if they force vaccinations? Besides... The government actually owns your life as they have made it illegal to take your own life or to hire someone to do so... and nobody joins the ACLU with the idea of a person taking ownership of thier lives back. 

Yes, they should because I believe the only way for America to become a truly free nation again is by forcing Americans to conform to every aspect the way they choose for you to live.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Of course not.

Even if you worship at the alter of vaccine-love, do you really want the government making medical decisions for your child?  REALLY?  This could be a slippery slope.

Ginny410
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm sure there are people that think its a great idea, but what happens when they decide that teen motherhood is becoming too big of an issue and then they force you to put your child on birthcontrol? Okay okay, maybe not force, but ban them from school if they arent on it? I think people would feel differently then. This is a parents decision! Where are all the prochoicers who want the gov't out of their uterus?? You cool with them being in your child's bloodstream? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

For those saying vaccinate or do not use preschool or daycare...that is pretty much the same as forcing someone to vaccinate.  It isn't rounding them up or having ninjas come to your house with vaccine filled vials while they hold you down - but people gotta eat.  Saying no shots=no daycare is very close to making vaccine mandatory for some folks.

At a minimum, it is a form of economic elitism.

Can you afford private daycare and the like?  Great!  You have vaccine choice!

Can't afford private daycare?  No vaccine choice for you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

good for New York 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Good.  End of discussion.  It's about damn time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)