Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Heated Debate: Should Gov’t Be Allowed to Force Vaccinations on Your Kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Heated Debate: Should Gov’t Be Allowed to Force Vaccinations on Your Kids?

AS SEEN ON HANNITY

New York City’s Board of Health voted Wednesday to require all children under age 6 who attend daycare or preschool to receive flu shots. Parents can only opt out of the flu vaccine if their child has medical reasons for not being able to take it. Philosophical exemptions, such as over vaccine concerns, are not allowed in New York State.  Many parents are not happy about the mandate and strongly oppose this plan.

Republican strategist Mercedes Vienna Schlapp and Democratic strategist Steve Murphy were on Hannity to debate the mandate.

Teens Arrested for Allegedly Letting Friend Drive Drunk

“This New York Board of Health, they're all appointees from the mayor,” said Republican strategist Mercedes Vienna Schlapp.  “They are very activist in their way of thinking, and they really do not believe that parents can make, and their health care providers, make the best decisions for their children?  Of course parents are outraged.”

Hannity interjected that while he himself is in favor of getting the flu shot, he believes that the opinion of parents who have strong objections against it should be respected. “They ought to be able to raise their children as they see fit.”

Greenpeace Video: Santa to Cancel Christmas Over Global Warming

"You don't have a legal right or a moral right to expose your child to disease unnecessarily," Murphy contested.  He added that the medical community is "overwhelmingly" in favor of these programs.

Hannity disagreed, "You don't have a legal or a moral right to give them a shot that in many cases makes kids sick and in a few isolated cases violently sick. You don’t have that right either!"  

“Why don’t we just hand our kids over to you, Steve, and Nanny Bloomberg because you know better how to raise our kids than we do?!” Hannity asked.

Watch the video for the full debate.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
awesomemommy2
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

NJ did this years ago.   But there are ways around it and the rule is actually quite stupid as kids with allergies are not vaxed as well as kids that are over the age limit so you could have 1/2 a class of kids that were vaxxed depending on when their birthday is.   Also there are a ton of different strains and the vax is not 100% effective so its no guarantee.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Absolutely not. Time for me to join a commune....

Callaly
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I do not vaccinate my child, I am very informed and well educated on the negative aspects of vaccination. I would rather quit my job and stay home then vaccinate so my child could attend school/daycare ect.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

nope and I am so thankful I live in a state where parents get to make that choice.   I dont think that the goverment should be involved in any medical decisons

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

If its only required for preschool or daycare, why don't they jsut stay home? There's my controversial input for the day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I feel the same. If you are so against vaccinating, then keep them at home.

Quoting BoredMom32:

No one is forcing anything.  If you don't want to vaccinate your kid, keep them at home.  But if you want to send them out, you are going to have to fulfill the requirements. 

TheDoctorsWife
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
As a mom that vaxes, I don't think the govt should tell me what I can and can't put into my child's body
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

When was this that the NYC Board of Health supposedly did not vaccinate under the age of 4? This came from their website-http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/flu/html/vaccination/index.shtml

Vaccination

Anyone concerned about being ill with influenza and transmitting it to others should get the influenza vaccine this year. There are two influenza vaccine products for 2013-14. One vaccine covers three virus strains (H3N2, 2009 H1N1, and influenza B/Massachusetts). The second is a quadrivalent vaccine that has an additional “B” strain (B/Brisbane). Everyone six months of age and older is recommended to get flu vaccine, but certain people are at increased risk of complications from influenza and vaccination is especially important for them. They are:

• Pregnant women
  • All health care workers
  • Anyone 6 months through 18 years of age, especially those under 5
  • Especially important for anyone 19 through 49 years of age
    who has an underlying health condition that increases the
    risk of complications from influenza (see list)
  • Adults 50 and older, especially those over 65
  • Anyone who lives with or cares for infants under 6 months of age
  • People who are morbidly obese (BMI ≥40 kg or 88 lbs/m2)
Quoting Msgme:

I strongly disagree with the state forcing vaccinations on children.  Especially here in nyc.   I have chosen to vaccinate my chidren but I did not do so when they were little.  I waited until they were school age (5) to do so and the NYC Board of health is a major reason why I chose that route.  I'm also not a fan of the Flu shot and neither is my pediatrician. He was the one who told me not to vaccinate for the flu when my kids were lttle.

When my dd was very little, i had no medical insurance.  My son at the time had been vaccinated so i looked into where i could get her vaccinations that would not cost an arm and a leg.  The board of health I found gives low cost vaccinations. Based on your income.  thats when i found out the Board of health does not vaccinate children under the age of 4.  Thats when red flags about vaccinations went up for me.

princess_1983
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

No, they should not be able to.

The.Last.Rebel
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

The flu shot is often times INEFFECTIVE. There should be no forced flu shots especially for kids.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)