Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Heated Debate: Should Gov’t Be Allowed to Force Vaccinations on Your Kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Heated Debate: Should Gov’t Be Allowed to Force Vaccinations on Your Kids?

AS SEEN ON HANNITY

New York City’s Board of Health voted Wednesday to require all children under age 6 who attend daycare or preschool to receive flu shots. Parents can only opt out of the flu vaccine if their child has medical reasons for not being able to take it. Philosophical exemptions, such as over vaccine concerns, are not allowed in New York State.  Many parents are not happy about the mandate and strongly oppose this plan.

Republican strategist Mercedes Vienna Schlapp and Democratic strategist Steve Murphy were on Hannity to debate the mandate.

Teens Arrested for Allegedly Letting Friend Drive Drunk

“This New York Board of Health, they're all appointees from the mayor,” said Republican strategist Mercedes Vienna Schlapp.  “They are very activist in their way of thinking, and they really do not believe that parents can make, and their health care providers, make the best decisions for their children?  Of course parents are outraged.”

Hannity interjected that while he himself is in favor of getting the flu shot, he believes that the opinion of parents who have strong objections against it should be respected. “They ought to be able to raise their children as they see fit.”

Greenpeace Video: Santa to Cancel Christmas Over Global Warming

"You don't have a legal right or a moral right to expose your child to disease unnecessarily," Murphy contested.  He added that the medical community is "overwhelmingly" in favor of these programs.

Hannity disagreed, "You don't have a legal or a moral right to give them a shot that in many cases makes kids sick and in a few isolated cases violently sick. You don’t have that right either!"  

“Why don’t we just hand our kids over to you, Steve, and Nanny Bloomberg because you know better how to raise our kids than we do?!” Hannity asked.

Watch the video for the full debate.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
teaandcookies
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, if you want to get insurance.  nothing drives me c razier then someone who doesn't do something to be healthy, then they get sick, and expect the public to care for them.  Same goes for smokers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

fuck no my one year old is covered in a massive rash that is just getting worse that broke out after they stabbed him 4 times two weeks ago. We will never again be vaxing.....

redhead-bedhead
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I am fairly liberal, but I side with the republicans on this. It is my right as a parent to make this decision. 

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
This!

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

That is a huge HELL NO.

redhead-bedhead
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Wouldn't eating right and boosting your immune system be a better option? It has been years since I have had the flu and I worked in a public health office in direct contact of those who had the flu. I've never been vaccinated for the flu.

Quoting teaandcookies:

yes, if you want to get insurance.  nothing drives me c razier then someone who doesn't do something to be healthy, then they get sick, and expect the public to care for them.  Same goes for smokers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
This is such a stupid argument. Just because someone is vaccinated doesn't mean they're protected 100%.

Quoting teaandcookies:

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I.am pro vax. But hell no they should not be able to mandate.
brandydesiree
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I 1000% agree with Hannity, shockingly.

I'm am getting absolutely sick of the government overstepping its bounds. I'm am my sons mother, I am his provider, I am his care-giver. I see him everyday, watch him grow up, see the way his body interacts with different foods, allergens, etc. the government is NOT there to tell me how to raise my child.

If I lived in NYC right now, I'd be preparing to raise hell, and if this wasn't changed, is pack up and move and then take my case to the courts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
When parents are too stupid to make the right decision, yes, the government should step in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I would freaking move before vaccinating my kid, for anything. I would move out of country if it came down to it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN