Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be polite if it saved you money?

Posted by   + Show Post

Brilliant Restaurant Charges Customers More for Being Rude

by Rebecca Stokes

twitter franceOh France. How I love it. The nation of croissants and croque madames and crème brûlé. Also berets and the home of Sartre, but as neither of those things is edible (and one is a human man), I will mention them no more. One of the biggest cliches about the French is that -- when pressed -- they can serve up some major attitude. But hey, don't we all from time to time?

I've definitely noticed that my own patience can be in short supply. Especially when I'm in a rush and doing something like ordering a cup of coffee -- but because I'm civilized and rational, I keep it in check. It's easy to cave into our bad tempers and snap at the people helping us -- but just because it's easy, that doesn't make it right. One cafe in France was sick of rude customers, so they hit them where it hurt.

More from The Stir: Pranksters Tip $200 for Laughs & Almost Make Server Cry

After a glut of particularly rude lunchtime patrons started mistreating servers at this small cafe in Nice, its owner decided to make it clear that bad manners can only hurt. He changed the prices of his coffee to reflect how the customers behaved. If you just walked in and said "coffee," you were going to pay a hell of a lot more than the people who walked in and said, "Good day, may I please have a cup of coffee?"

The gentle and funny correction was really well-received by patrons. The customers all took the change in stride. Many of his regulars praised the owner for taking this step. The owner himself says he hasn't had to charge anyone more for rudeness -- so the message has been received.

While this is hilarious, it's kind of sad that people need to be reminded to treat each other decently. It's like Bill and Ted said: Be Excellent to Each Other. Sadly, I'd also know some folks happy to pay more to keep being rude. That said, I can think of at least eight places I go to pretty regularly that could definitely make a small fortune by implementing this change.

Do you think this policy is fair?

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Which is what I said, about what you spend at starbucks. 

Quoting dandylynes:

SInce it's i nFrance, it's in Euro's

Which amounts to 

Polite is $5.83 and Rude is $9.60 in US Dollars

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Have you ever been ot a starbucks, I

d say the price is comparable. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i find it disturbing that he marks his coffee up so high.

great to have polite customers, but can he still pay his employees?

AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I'm polite anyway.

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

that is fantastic. i was always disturbed how you would call the waiter "boy" in france. 

3pippings
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Totally fair.

alc4evermom
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Wow where I work i feel like all you have to do as a patron is be mean and you get a free gift card lol
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd have saved a lot of money over the years if this was true. I really try my best to brighten the day of everyone who serves me in any form, like a drive thru person, cashier, waitress, ect.

SleuthMaria
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I'd love that policy to be everywhere! I hate seeing customers treat employees as "less than" or just not being polite. I'm polite & friendly to everyone I interact with in stores, restaurants, etc, unless they give me a reason not to. Is it really that hard to say "Hello", "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon", etc to a waiter, barrista, cashier, receptionist, etc & add "please" to any requests & follow up with a "Thank you" when they do something for you, answer a question, bring/give you something, etc? Are you really in such a hurry that if someone asks you "How are you doing?" you can't take 2 seconds to respond, "Very well, thank you. And, you?" & then listen to their reply? It always saddens me when people are shocked to hear a please or thank you when they're doing their job & I'd love to see people who are rude get charged more b/c maybe that would encourage more people to be polite & after a little bit, that politeness to save money will become a habit & spill over into other areas of their lives. More politeness won't solve all the world's problems but would be a start to making this world a better place.

Rajeshsmom
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I think it's a great idea. What a rude generation we are. No please, good mornings, thank you... I make my son be polite! He's only two and knows to say please and thank you.

BEXi
by BEXi on Dec. 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hahahah this is great!! I have so many people who come in and after I say "Hey! Welcome to _____. How are you??"  "COFFEE."

Oh. Okay.. Im "coffee" too, I guess.

BEXi
by BEXi on Dec. 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

And Starbucks doesnt even have quality coffee, unlike Europe.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Which is what I said, about what you spend at starbucks. 

Quoting dandylynes:

SInce it's i nFrance, it's in Euro's

Which amounts to 

Polite is $5.83 and Rude is $9.60 in US Dollars

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Have you ever been ot a starbucks, I

d say the price is comparable. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i find it disturbing that he marks his coffee up so high.

great to have polite customers, but can he still pay his employees?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)