Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be polite if it saved you money?

Posted by   + Show Post

Brilliant Restaurant Charges Customers More for Being Rude

by Rebecca Stokes

twitter franceOh France. How I love it. The nation of croissants and croque madames and crème brûlé. Also berets and the home of Sartre, but as neither of those things is edible (and one is a human man), I will mention them no more. One of the biggest cliches about the French is that -- when pressed -- they can serve up some major attitude. But hey, don't we all from time to time?

I've definitely noticed that my own patience can be in short supply. Especially when I'm in a rush and doing something like ordering a cup of coffee -- but because I'm civilized and rational, I keep it in check. It's easy to cave into our bad tempers and snap at the people helping us -- but just because it's easy, that doesn't make it right. One cafe in France was sick of rude customers, so they hit them where it hurt.

More from The Stir: Pranksters Tip $200 for Laughs & Almost Make Server Cry

After a glut of particularly rude lunchtime patrons started mistreating servers at this small cafe in Nice, its owner decided to make it clear that bad manners can only hurt. He changed the prices of his coffee to reflect how the customers behaved. If you just walked in and said "coffee," you were going to pay a hell of a lot more than the people who walked in and said, "Good day, may I please have a cup of coffee?"

The gentle and funny correction was really well-received by patrons. The customers all took the change in stride. Many of his regulars praised the owner for taking this step. The owner himself says he hasn't had to charge anyone more for rudeness -- so the message has been received.

While this is hilarious, it's kind of sad that people need to be reminded to treat each other decently. It's like Bill and Ted said: Be Excellent to Each Other. Sadly, I'd also know some folks happy to pay more to keep being rude. That said, I can think of at least eight places I go to pretty regularly that could definitely make a small fortune by implementing this change.

Do you think this policy is fair?

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
JTE11
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I don't know if it's fair but people are going to be rude I think, even if it costs them. And it always does, although not always financially. Sad that someone has to threaten someone else's wallet just to get basic manners out of them, though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM

i would love to see someone from an american ghetto encounter pricing that charges them more for their demeanor and witness the reaction.    

it would be like maury on steriods.  

(and sorry to the people who live in ghettos that do not freak out and scream at people.    but YOU more than anyone know the type i am talking about.  you might have them as neighbors. )    

catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Love it! Would make no difference for me, though.. I am naturally polite.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

armywifey1983
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I try to be polite in my day to day. When I get the usual 'hi, welcome to **, how are you today, and what can I get you?' I usually respond with 'hi there! I'm great. How are you?' and we go from there. I think this is a novel idea to get people to really think about how they interact with others. Bravo!

BrittSam2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Fair. Of course it is. Treating someone reasonably is nice for everyone. Nothing wrong with saying please and thank you.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I think its a great idea and yes its fair. You have the choice to be polite or to be rude.

Anniversary
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM

No strong opinion

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I'm polite anyway.

cybcm
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Wish I could do this at work.

My 'favourite' customers are the ones who come up to the counter, on the phone, drop the flowers and their money in front of me, give me their backs and lean on my counter, chatting away on the phone while I process the sale,.
Then they turn around, hang up the phone and snap "Uhh I want those flowers cut and wrapped IN PINK PAPER" then start huffing and scowling because I used the 'default' paper which is cream.

Because everything about giving me your back, chatting to your friend and ignoring me let me know that you wanted a specific colour.

GarysGirl85
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I went to a coffee place at the Farmer's Market in Seattle and they had a list of very specific rules for ordering, including having manners. and if you don't follow the ruls they don't serve you. It works for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)