Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this career choice stupid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I love to draw. I love the animation of the kids movies. All i watch is kids shows because i deeply love the colors, the audience involvement and coming up with my own episodes and movies in my heas, writing them out and drawing them out. But mybmom, since she saw my drawings, threw them out and told me its stupid, childish and still makes fun pf me fpr watching cartoons. I really want to pursue this but is this an actual career and i dont know how tp get started.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM

start by making a portfolio of your drawings and keep it in a place where no one can throw them out...then contact an art school and make an appt to bring them in and show someone and get an opinion.  This is what we are doing with my dd...she loves to draw too, and is very talented at it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM
It's an extremely tough field to get into.
BAMFSFW
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM
A passion is never stupid. Maybe If she followed her passions more in life she would be less critical & demeaning of yours. Start by researching possible careers!
teddysmama09
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Animation is huge right now.  Check out your local community college or tech school and look into their art/animation courses. The worst case scenario is you get to spend a couple of nights a week doing something for yourself that you enjoy; best case scenario is it turns into a career. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

there is NOTHING wrong with having a dream. Shame on your mom for trying to remove that from you. 

If you want to make it a reality then check out college options. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM
She works in automotive. She said she hates her job but it pays good. I dont want to hate mt job for the rest of my life.

Quoting BAMFSFW: A passion is never stupid. Maybe If she followed her passions more in life she would be less critical & demeaning of yours. Start by researching possible careers!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Thanks. I have to save up to go back to school then. Im so happy i want to cry.

Quoting teddysmama09:

Animation is huge right now.  Check out your local community college or tech school and look into their art/animation courses. The worst case scenario is you get to spend a couple of nights a week doing something for yourself that you enjoy; best case scenario is it turns into a career. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's stupid, but I think you need to be realistic.  Give yourself a set amount of time that you are willing to actively pursue this career.  If you can't find a way in to the field  you need to pursue other options.  I would personally give it a year.  Create a portfolio.  Show it to some art schools.  If you don't see that this is something that is going to happen, start exploring other options. 

Start here.......

http://www.disneyanimation.com/careers

edited....the second link wasn't what I thought...sorry :(  I know they have some type of school. 

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Yes, it could be a career. I am sure it is extremely competitive and hard to get into but I would research it some and see what is out there. 

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

It wouldn't hurt to look into - someone has to do it!! :)) good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)