Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Double standards for boys and girls?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
3 moms liked this

Why is it ok for girls play with cars, action figures and in the dirt but society has a shit fit when little boys want to play with barbies and dolls and more "feminine" toys?

Playing is playing to kids, NOTHING more. They arent thinking about gender when they are playing, they are just playing and using their imagination. Why on earth a parent would want to stifle that, or make them feel as if they are doing something wrong is beyond me.

So what if a kid isnt going to be or do what he/she is pretending to be or do when they grow up. My kids pretend to be animals all the time and Im pretty sure they arent going to be cats and dogs when they grow up.

It's the same with boy vs girl tv shows. My ds thinks he needs to hide the fact that he likes watching my little pony from everyone because his friends all say it's a girls show.   He once told them I make him watch it with his little sister lol.  Anytime he watches it though he makes sure to go get my dd just in case his friends come to the door to play and see him watching it.  So what, it's just a tv show. 

My brothers always played with my barbies, watched the same girly tv shows even when I wasn't around, and played dress up with me. And guess what they are married with kids now and turned out fine.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

BUMP!

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I agree, but I'll also add that even if a kid grew up to be gay it wasn't because of the toys he or she played with.  My son (7) loves The Littlest Pet Shop.  He says that he likes to watch Alice's (his little sister) show.  Even when I try to be open when it comes to gender roles, he still internalizes what's a boy show and what's a girl show without my help. 

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I don't have that double standard.
DS plays with all DDs stuff. No big del.
I will try to find the pic I saw the other day.
It says "if you let him play with dolls he might become..... a dad one day"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Because the mindset of the country is to empower girls, not equalize everyone.
heydooney
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Eh. My 2yo son has four babies, and a pink car seat/carrier that they sleep in next to his bed. He uses a toy shopping cart as a stroller, and loves his little toy vacuum. It doesn't seem weird to me at all. I don't think of dolls and cleaning things as girly, though I wish I could find more boyish outfits for his babies.
Momsthename0609
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I don't have that double standard, my 4 year old boy likes Ariel and wanted an Ariel doll for Christmas so I got it for him, he also wanted the movie so I got it for him. I think double standards are ridiculous.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

If my son asked for a doll I'd get him one....he has "girl" friends and when he plays at their house obviously he plays with girl toys, he loves it, something different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM

That's kind of my point too.  They sell all pink things for toys and could be making other colors for them but since they primarily advertise to girls. I mean look at the advertisements on the tv's for those things. they are all girls and all pink

Quoting heydooney: Eh. My 2yo son has four babies, and a pink car seat/carrier that they sleep in next to his bed. He uses a toy shopping cart as a stroller, and loves his little toy vacuum. It doesn't seem weird to me at all. I don't think of dolls and cleaning things as girly, though I wish I could find more boyish outfits for his babies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM

lol, i love this

Quoting MIA0223:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)