Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When Do You Announce Your Pregnancy?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 60 Replies

I have heard a lot of women saying that it's not acceptable to announce your pregnancy when you find out?  I have never understood this.

I hear about the risk of miscarraige.  Ok.  Well if I were to miscarry, I would need the support of others.  It's not something I could go through alone.  

I found out and then I told everyone the next day.  I was 6 weeks (i'm 21 weeks now and no problems).  How long did you wait and why? 

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AF2011
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I'll always wait until i hit the 12 week mark.
ashleynm85
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Why?

Quoting AF2011: I'll always wait until i hit the 12 week mark.

RoseWildflower
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I would wait 3 months. Thats just me though because of the risk of a miscarriage. If I ever have one I would want to keep it to my DH and I. I just think its too private for everyone to know. Also, I wouldn't want to make everyone excited only to tell them about the miscarriage later.

But thats just me.
TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My mom was in the room when I found out the first time and the second time I told her the next day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

1st time i was 19 and told right away. 2nd time i was 25 and told my mom right away, miscarried the next day. this time, i waited until i was 13 weeks to tell my mom and 16 weeks to tell everyone else. i understand the whole needing support thing but when i miscarried...i didn't want to talk to anyone let alone have to tell a bunch of people and hear all the bs they would say to try and make me feel better. i just didn't want to hear it....it didn't help, just made me mad and even more sad. to each their own though.

ashleynm85
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I can understand that.

Quoting Anonymous:

1st time i was 19 and told right away. 2nd time i was 25 and told my mom right away, miscarried the next day. this time, i waited until i was 13 weeks to tell my mom and 16 weeks to tell everyone else. i understand the whole needing support thing but when i miscarried...i didn't want to talk to anyone let alone have to tell a bunch of people and hear all the bs they would say to try and make me feel better. i just didn't want to hear it....it didn't help, just made me mad and even more sad. to each their own though.

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Because of the risk of miscarriage.

Quoting ashleynm85:

Why?

ashleynm85
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I have never miscarried and neither has anyone in my family so I didn't really worry about that.  I know that anything could happen though.  We were just too excited to keep it a secret!

Quoting RoseWildflower: I would wait 3 months. Thats just me though because of the risk of a miscarriage. If I ever have one I would want to keep it to my DH and I. I just think its too private for everyone to know. Also, I wouldn't want to make everyone excited only to tell them about the miscarriage later.

But thats just me.

cleigh717
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I waited for a while to tell family bc i wasnt married, but almost immediately my immediate boss knew and my coworkers. by 20 weeks every1 knew with my first. my second, we waited at least til 10 weeks. i wanted to wait until at least 12, but i didnt want to really announce it at a family get together. too much pressure. 

ashleynm85
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I'ev heard women say bad things about women who announce their pregnancy early.  Things like they are selfish or stupid.  I think those are silly things to say.

Quoting AF2011: Because of the risk of miscarriage.

Quoting ashleynm85:

Why?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)