Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Do You Announce Your Pregnancy?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have heard a lot of women saying that it's not acceptable to announce your pregnancy when you find out?  I have never understood this.

I hear about the risk of miscarraige.  Ok.  Well if I were to miscarry, I would need the support of others.  It's not something I could go through alone.  

I found out and then I told everyone the next day.  I was 6 weeks (i'm 21 weeks now and no problems).  How long did you wait and why? 

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
21 weeks
gumbeme06
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I wait until I'm out of my first trimester. I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy and if I had told a lot of people it would have (at that time) made things a million times worse having to tell everyone that I lost the baby or having people not know I lost it and asking about my pregnancy. I know things can happen later on in pregnancy too but I just feel better about waiting until I'm in my second trimester before making the announcement
tardistraveller
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Until I was 3 months.  I was raised that a miscarraige is something you grieve privately and you wait until the pregnancy is viable to share it.  

I was raised british-canadian and consider it rude to make other people feel awkward or to be over emotional.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Hubby? Right away

Kids? After 12 weeks

Family? 24-36 weeks

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
When DF and I first got pregnant we were so excited we told everyone in the family a few days after we found out. Unfortunately we lost the baby at 6 weeks. For our second pregnancy, I was still affected from the loss of the first and didn't want to tell anyone until we had made it to the second trimester and confirmed baby was moving, growing normally, and had a healthy heartbeat. We just didn't want to get everyone's hopes up like the first time.

That's just me personally, I don't care how and when others do it though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I told everyone as soon as I knew. I was five weeks along; my Son is now six and a half. :)
Apgsteenmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM
This girl at my work announced it yesterday that she is 5 wks
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM
First pregnancy, I told my mom and others when I first found out. I had a miscarriage and then I had to explain to everyone that knew I'd been pregnant...each and every time I saw someone new. It was like having to relive it over and over again. Second pregnancy, I told my baby sister and that was it until my first ultrasound around ten weeks (That is when I told my husband...the first miscarriage took a toll on our relationship), and then everyone else after the first trimester. That was a good pregnancy. I've had two more miscarriages and it is much easier emotionally, to not have to explain it to people.

Quoting ashleynm85:

I have heard a lot of women saying that it's not acceptable to announce your pregnancy when you find out?  I have never understood this.

I hear about the risk of miscarraige.  Ok.  Well if I were to miscarry, I would need the support of others.  It's not something I could go through alone.  

I found out and then I told everyone the next day.  I was 6 weeks (i'm 21 weeks now and no problems).  How long did you wait and why? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I wanted to wait to tell my family, but my morning sickness was so bad and obvious I couldn't hide it past 7 weeks. I am 16 weeks, and I announced at 14 weeks to extended family and friends.
CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I waited till 12 weeks this time. I've had two previous miscarriages, the first at 18.5 weeks the second at 8.5 weeks. I waited because I was worried of having another miscarriage early on. It's very difficult having such a public loss and I personally would rather grieve privately with my husband, close friends and friends from my church. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured