Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When Do You Announce Your Pregnancy?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have heard a lot of women saying that it's not acceptable to announce your pregnancy when you find out?  I have never understood this.

I hear about the risk of miscarraige.  Ok.  Well if I were to miscarry, I would need the support of others.  It's not something I could go through alone.  

I found out and then I told everyone the next day.  I was 6 weeks (i'm 21 weeks now and no problems).  How long did you wait and why? 

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I have never told anyone but DH. Thankfully so, because they all ended in mc. I *may* be pregnant now. 6 weeks today, if I am, blood test on Monday. We will not be announcing until 14 weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I agree. I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks and wanted to grieve privately as well. It's absolutely not something you want to have to discuss with everyone and their cousin.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Until I was 3 months.  I was raised that a miscarraige is something you grieve privately and you wait until the pregnancy is viable to share it.  

I was raised british-canadian and consider it rude to make other people feel awkward or to be over emotional.

cymkare
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM

We found out in late November and told our families at our Christmas celebrations. But we only waited to make it a special Christmas surprise. So we told everyone around eight weeks. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with my second. Both times we announced immediately. We wanted to share our excitement with everyone.
Sparkler16
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
I told immediate family and my 2 best friends right away. Everyone else I waited past my first trimester. There is always the. "What if" in the beginning and closest friends and family who knew would be enough support. I didn't want to have to explain anything to everyone I knew God forbid. I did this with both of my pregnancies
ashleynm85
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Thank you for all your responses!!  I didn't realize just how common miscarriage is!

KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Everybody found out at 13 weeks with DD. With this baby I'll be 17 weeks. The only people who know are my sister and my dad found out yesterday
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I found out I was pregnant and was estimated to be 5 months along. I told people 2 days later. If I knew I was pregnant early on I would have waited till I was out of the. first trimester
baquick
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I told family and close friends at 6 wks (only time for a while we would see them all at once.) work I told about then bc I do a lot of heavy lifting. Everyone else I will tell in the next few weeks
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I have heard that it is considered bad luck to say anything until after the third month.  I see the point in that, because I would hate to deal with explaining an early loss, and having to deal with people trying to be supportive, but honestly just burdening me with their own pain over losses that they feel were big, when I do not have that mentality that an early loss is actually a loss of signifigance (my personal opinion. My pregnancy losses were not something to mourn. It was my body doing what it was meant to do, if something was wrong).

I personally never made a big announcement. I did not see the point. My husband however, made a huge deal out of telling everyone, and I don't think he waited for any certain time.  Oh! no! I did make an announcement with our daughter, after an aunt that I do not like and do not talk to yelled at my mother for me being rude and not announcing my pregnancy on facebook. So I made a pretty scathing announcement in her honor, complete with the video for 'Pregnant Women are Smug'.  

All that being said, I did not really have a reason. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN