Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fire that killed two little boys UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

UPDATE

The father of two young children who were killed in a trailer home fire in December has been arrested on charges.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol said Randy M. Garrison, 31, of Orrick, MO, was arrested on two charges of first-degree child abandonment, a Class B felony.

On Dec. 10, the Ray County Sheriff's Office received a call about a fire. Two children, 3-year-old Roger Garrison and 1-year-old Ashton Garrison, were found dead inside.

Three months later, all that remains of where the two little boys lived is a pile of rubble.

Now an 11-page probable cause statement points out the father's multiple inconsistencies. And on the night before Ashton would have turned two, prosecutors say his father did not try to save him and his brother.

"They were my rock. The reason I got out of bed every day was for my boys," Garrison said when talking to KCTV5 on the horrible day of the fire.

He described waking up to the screams of his children and went into detail about his desperate attempts to save them, getting burned in the process.

"The door was stuck," he said at the time. "I ran outside the back door, run around to the front, and started ripping the sheeting off the side of the house and trying to punch through that way and reach them, and I couldn't."

But in the 11-page document, investigators detail Garrison's account of the night and found massive inconsistencies, including accounts of a witness who saw him standing on the driveway as the trailer burned. The witness also said when they asked if the boys were inside Garrison called them an expletive and told them to leave.

A paramedic said she couldn't help but notice Garrison's T-shirt was white, not stained as one would expect if he'd been inside the burning trailer.

First responder and investigators say there was no evidence Garrison had punched through the wall in an attempt to save his little boys. In fact, investigators say when his inconsistencies were pointed out Garrison repeatedly said he was confused.

Following the fire, family members of both parents traded blame.

Garrison questioned the behavior and mental state of the children's mother.

The maternal grandmother, though, stood up for her daughter and said everyone is extremely distraught.

Nothing in the court documents or the charge itself explains how the fire started. When KCTV5 called the prosecutor for clarification, we were told she'd be in court all day.

Garrison is being held at the Ray County Jail on a $100,000 bond.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol assisted the Ray County Sheriff's Office in their investigation of the fire.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

News article about a house fire that killed two baby boys. When I heard this I immediately thought there was no was I could have left that house without my babies, what happened? The it was said that there was a bungee cord holding the kids door closed.

Why was the door tied shut? I can't think of anything other than foul play.

ORRICK, Mo. — Fire investigators on Wednesday had either not determined or not released the cause of a deadly fire in Orrick, Mo., where two little boys died Tuesday morning.
The Ray County Sheriff said that law enforcement had not yet talked to the parents of Roger Wayne, 3, and 21-month-old Ashton Michael.
The boys were trapped inside the burning house in Orrick, which is about 35 miles northeast of Kansas City.
The boys’ father, Randy Garrison said he returned home from a 24-hour shift around 6 a.m. Tuesday and went straight to bed. He later woke to the sound of his sons screaming at about 11:30 a.m. He told FOX 4 that the boys’ mother was not home.
“Woke up hearing them screaming at the top of their lungs,” he said. “Flames in my bedroom and flames in the hallway, flames through the whole house.”
Garrison said he first tried to bust through his bedroom wall but couldn’t. That’s when he ran into the hall and tripped.
“I fell over a bungee cord or something that was holding their bedroom door shut,” he said. “I ran out the back door around to the front, started ripping the sheeting off the house and trying to punch through that way and I couldn’t.”
Despite flash burns on his body, Garrison said he kept trying to reach his boys until he was overcome by smoke. He was taken to the hospital for burns and blisters but checked himself out and returned to the scene of the fire.
“The mother was in the house whenever I went to sleep this morning,” he said. “And I woke up to her not being here, but my kids were here. You’d think a parent would either wake up another adult in the house or take the kids with her.”
The children’s maternal grandmother said her daughter is in the hospital, heavily medicated and distraught over the deaths of her sons.
“”They were holding her back because she was wanting to go into where it was still … where they were at,” said Marjorie Long, grandmother.
Long said her daughter, Tammy Willis, and Garrison were not married. Long is upset about some of the things she felt Garrison implied about her daughter.
Long says her daughter told her that when she left the house, she woke up Garrison to tell him she was leaving. The grandmother says she was told that Garrison was awake when Willis left the house.
“She is very loving, very caring. She puts her kids before anything else,” Long said.
“She would starve herself to make sure that the kids had food, to go without things she needed to make sure that they got what they needed.”
Garrison said his children were everything to him.
“They were my rock, everything I had in life,” Garrison said. “The only reason I woke up everyday was for my boys.”
Garrison said he spoke with the fire marshal when he was in the hospital. Autopsies were performed on the children, but the findings were not released on Wednesday.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lexa_Lee
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I think they're both shitty parents.
AnnaBright
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Where the he'll did she go?
anotherhalf
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
One or the other or both. I hope the truth comes out. Poor babies. The pain and fear they must have felt - unbelievable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Someone said she went to apply for food stamps.

Quoting AnnaBright: Where the he'll did she go?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I just cannot understand why their door was shut like that, or why the dad didn't wake up until the kids were screaming and the house was engulfed in flame, or why the mother left them with an exhausted father. Nothing about it adds up.
It is so wrong, I hope they find out what really happened.

Quoting anotherhalf: One or the other or both. I hope the truth comes out. Poor babies. The pain and fear they must have felt - unbelievable.
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Maybe she got sick of sacrificing things for them? Strange about the bungee cord.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I think foul play and possibly both parents - pointing fingers raises reasonable doubt which equals no convictions :(. Didn't mean to go anon. Damn fingers.

Quoting Anonymous: I just cannot understand why their door was shut like that, or why the dad didn't wake up until the kids were screaming and the house was engulfed in flame, or why the mother left them with an exhausted father. Nothing about it adds up.

Quoting anotherhalf: One or the other or both. I hope the truth comes out. Poor babies. The pain and fear they must have felt - unbelievable.
Allebas
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

WOW!! That is very, very sad!! Something in this story definitely sounds shady! I'm sure they will get it figured out! They always do! RIP little boys.  :(

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Which ever one of them is trying to avoid cs payment should be shot >:( that is not how you solve problems. Sick fucking bastards

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Well that is one hell of a way to do it, there are so many other less torturous ways to go if you were trying to kill babies. Or you could be a decent person and drop them off with the police and just leave it at that.

I just don't want to believe anyone would intentionally give their babies that kind of death.

Quoting Anonymous: I think foul play and possibly both parents - pointing fingers raises reasonable doubt which equals no convictions :(. Didn't mean to go anon. Damn fingers.

Quoting Anonymous: I just cannot understand why their door was shut like that, or why the dad didn't wake up until the kids were screaming and the house was engulfed in flame, or why the mother left them with an exhausted father. Nothing about it adds up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN