Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you adopted?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
I'm not talking about step parent adoptions, I mean traditional adoption, infants or through foster care, either domestic or international. What kind of situation was it? Open/closed?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tardistraveller
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

nope, not something I would ever do.  But here's a bump

danigirlglow
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Yes, our youngest (13months) is adopted. Her grandmother and I worked together. She asked me to talk to her then 14 year old who was pregnant about the challenges if being a teen mom, since I'd been on. I spent a lot of time with her, my twins were babies so she spent time with them. She floored my husband and I when she approached us about adopting the baby. After a lot of discussion and talking to a lawyer and social worker about the process, we agreed and adopted our baby girl when she was born. The mother changed her mind, but changed it back, thankfully. Its an open adoption.
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Foster care x3, all toddlers by adoption time. Technically open but we only have ongoing contact with one bio family. Ongoing contact with adoptive families of the siblings of another child.

Back grounds for why they were in foster care is not something I discuss.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Have never adopted myself however I have placed a baby up for adoption.  It is open. I see pics regularly see the child frequently to. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I tried many years ago when I couldn't conceive. the mother changed her mind when she saw her beautiful baby. It was a very expensive emotional rollarcoaster for me and I couldn't repeat the process. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM

yes I adopted several cats from shelters and recently adopted my niece

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
My kids' adoptions were totally out of the norm.
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM
My sil asked us to adopt her daughter. We spent 7 weeks in the nicu with her and she stayed at home with us for 6 weeks before they took her back. It was an open adoption. She delivered the little girl we named Emma at 28 weeks so by the time we agreed she went into labor so we hadnt even see a lawyer yet. The farthest we had got was temp placement. Broke my heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Yes. My seven year old was adopted at birth. We have an open adoption and love it. We would love to adopt again but are a little afraid after one fell through at the last minute.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

We adopted my partners 3rd cousin after she ended up in the foster care system. It's not a completely open adoption even though it is technically family. We provide the birth mother with pictures once or twice a year as well as updates on how our daughter is doing(major mile stones etc.) It's difficult to navigate the bureaucracy involved in the foster care system. But the benefit is that in our state they provide you with adoption assistance every month until the child is 18. That also includes medical benefits. Are you thinking about adoption? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN