Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think this is rude?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 152 Replies
Do you think it's rude that if once you're married, your MIL still talks to DHs ex(es)? **Obviously this excludes any ex that is a mom to his kid(s).**

But if your DH has absolutely nothing to contact an ex about, do you think it's rude of a MIL to be buddy buddy with an ex of his? What about if she talks about an ex in front of you?

I'm not married, but a previous post got me thinking about whether or not I'd find it rude. Thoughts?
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM
10 moms liked this
No. Just because the marriage ends doesn't mean that bond between them has to end as well.
imyourPuppy
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
No. As long as MIL doesn't say that the EX was better than the current woman in from of her DS :-), I don't see the problem.
GMMC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM
5 moms liked this

Out of respect for the new girlfriend, I would cut bonds. Or at least keep my mouth shut.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

This

Quoting moosesmom: No. Just because the marriage ends doesn't mean that bond between them has to end as well.

anotherhalf
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM
4 moms liked this

Not at all.  She can remain friends with whoever she wants.

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM
3 moms liked this

No of course not. Their people, and they form bonds and friendships too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

my father is best friends with one of my sister's ex's.  they're both married to other people, just depends on maturity i guess.  

i also take care of his kids all week.  once i had an appointment i couldn't get out of and my sister came over and sat with the kids, i checked with both him and his wife and no one had a problem. again, it's a maturity thing.

AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think its rude. My MIL talks to my DH's ex all the time and they do not have any children or anything. She became close to the girl and stayed that way. The only time its bothered me is when she tells this lady all about our kids. I asked her not to, because I don't know his ex, she could be nice or she could be some crazy psychopath.

SerenityBerry
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I depends on the situation. In some cases yes it would be rude and inappropriate but in others it would fine.

pghmommyof5
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I suppose it would depend on the situation. My current MIL likes to talk about dh's ex in front of me to try to upset me (it doesn't) but the girl cheated on and broke dh's heart do I think it's inappropriate and disrespectful to him. My former MIL was friends with a few of exdh's ol gf's and it didn't bother me. I was friends with some of them too. They were all before we had met and it was a small town where everyone knew eachother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)