Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

End Car Seat Laws

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 721 Replies
20 moms liked this

I'll offer the short and long version.  

Short Version: Mind your own business.  Parents should be able to parent how they want to.  What another parent does in regards to car seats has no negative impact on you, in fact the reverse might be true. 

Long Version: First off let me say, helicopter parents, if you want to strap your tween into a car seat/booster seat  no one is going to stop you.  But you have no right to force your helicoptering values on the rest of the world.  Even most free rangers would put their young children in a car seat/booster seat anyway.  

What you forget to is that every law has negative consequenes.  For example, mandatory car seat laws have caused some to buy larger vehicles.  These larger vehicles when they crash with each other are 3x more likely to cause a fatl accident.  Not to mention there are better uses of the time of the police.  This would also include patrolling cross walks and intersections near schools for those who choose to blow through them as kids are making their way to school.  

Also many of those who seem very pro-extreme car seat laws are also very anti-vacination.  How would you like to have vacinations forced on you and your kids?  This is even a case where there is a much stronger argument for it as, the individual choice not to vacinate does have negative consequences on society.  Not that I feel they are worthy of forcing vacinations.  

Not to mention wanting to enforce that they are used perfectly.  Many kids are more than capable of moving straps.  I don't know about you but I prefer peoples eyes to be on the road and not the car seat.  Another negative impact.  

Nor should classes be mandatory.  Classes are great for those who choose to take them who live in areas where they do lots of driving such as the suburbs.  What you forget is that not everybody lives in the suburbs.  Even some people who do might still not drive.  

Nor should a hospital be able to have any say in how you take your child home.   It's your kid.  What if you live across the street and just want to walk across the street with them.  What if the pick-up area is further away then where you live?  

You also don't know what might cause someone to not use a car seat once or twice.  What if another kid or pet is sick and they need to get to the doctor as quickly as possible?  What if the car seat broke and they are on the way to the store to get another one?  

Update: It's also occurred to me too that car seats along with larger vehicles give the illusion of safety.  Thus there is further danger in illusions of safety because people then tend to take less other precautions such, in particular in regards to safe verses unsafe driving practices.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
7 moms liked this

I hate car seats! I don't mind them when I am alone with my son. But, for long car rides, they suck royally.

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM
82 moms liked this

That won't happen as long as insurance companies exist there will be carseat laws and they will only get stricter.  Insurance companies and the general public don't want to pay for morons who don't give a crap about their children.  The only reason people don't actual keep their child safe is because they are stupid and don't care or are stupid and don't educate themselves.  It has nothing to do with helicopter parenting it has to do with not having your childs brain matter splattered all over the roads. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM
153 moms liked this

We need laws to protect the little ones because too many parents are more concerned over convenience then the safety of their children.

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Here in Mexico, no one uses them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM

That makes sense. It should completely be up to you what works best for your son!

Quoting suzanneyea:

I hate car seats! I don't mind them when I am alone with my son. But, for long car rides, they suck royally.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
77 moms liked this

Laws are in place to protect kids from idiot parents.. 

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
7 moms liked this

No offense but the parents who don't care are not going to care any more because there is a law. BTDT.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

We need laws to protect the little ones because too many parents are more concerned over convenience then the safety of their children.

fairyjester
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM
35 moms liked this

well at your size you are not supposed to be in one.    

Quoting suzanneyea:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM
15 moms liked this

I don't care if you put your child in a car seat or not. I won't be the one mourning his/her death in case of an accident but the LAW may have an issue with you

1stpreggers
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
29 moms liked this
When you see a hungry child in the street do you think oh well doesn't affect me I need to myob or does your heart go out to them ? That's how I feel about carseats it doesn't affect me but my heart goes out to the lo whos ff too early just because the mom says she can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN