Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Jesus" is Jewish, correct? *obviously religious

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 633 Replies
3 moms liked this
This weekend while I was driving around looking at Christmas decorations. I saw a nativity scene. Which got me thinking....

The nativity scene took place in Jerusalem, correct? So "Jesus" is Jewish, right? From my understanding of the christian bible, Christians don't agree with Judaism (that is what jewish religion is called, right?) So why do Christians display the nativity scene? Why do they believe in "Jesus" when he is not their religion? Why don't Christians have their own form of "Jesus"? Why do they have the Jewish form of "Jesus"?

I'm atheist so I can't answer these questions, which is also why "Jesus" is in quotes. I'm not being offensive or sarcastic. The quotes just seemed like the right way to put it since I am not a believer.

ETA I have to say I am quite amazed. I really figured this post would be more hateful than what it is. Not that that is what I was going for, because it wasn't. But this is MC, and all religion posts I've seen in all the years I have been here have always turned into one giant bash fest.

I am blown away. Seriously! You ladies, most of you anyways, are awesome! :D

Thank you for keeping this civil!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM
12 moms liked this
You honestly need to go back to square one and educate yourself about religion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM
o_O

Christians follow the teachings of Jesus, so I guess that's why.
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Jesus is quite the controversy.  Judaism does not believe he is the same as God whereas Christianity has him in the same realm of "higher power"as God.  I could be wrong on this though.   I am not super big on theology.   I do believe Jesus existed but given all our records are man recorded there could be big mistakes or things written to fit the person in power's agenda.

BaconQueen
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
12 moms liked this

You're atheist and you've never researched this? Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all related religions as they all worship the God of Abraham....the difference is on their views on Jesus...Christianity views Jesus as the messiah, Islam and Judaism do not. The Jewish Bible is part of the Christian Bible...It's the old Testament. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Jesus was Jewish. The belief that he is the son of God created Christianity, which is a branch off of Judaism.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
7 moms liked this

You're mistaken.  In christianity, it's always taught that Jesus was jewish and is the "King of the Jews".   Christians are followers of CHrist.  Hence the name.  Christ was a jew and every single christian knows and accepts that. 

Most Christians I know have no complaints about the Jewish faith.  Our main differences are the fact that we still think the messiah has come ( Christians) and Jewish individuals do not ( from what I understand). 

You have to think after WW2 our country was predominatlely CHristian.  That was what the majority of Americans would have been classified as.  The largest percentage.  Not only did we help liberate the Nazi camps that were packed with Jewish individuals, but we also helped create Israel in the aftermath of the war. . . Israel is still one of our biggest allies, although Obama doesn't seem to want to keep that status-- but he's a moron. 

Hope that clarifies things a bit. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this
And why is that? Christians took what they wanted from Judaism and discarded the rest, they also took from pagan rituals as well. "Jesus" was Jewish, correct? So if he was jewish, then it would be safe to say his religion was also that of jewish, right? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Quoting ivegotrhythm: You honestly need to go back to square one and educate yourself about religion.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Jesus was Jewish.  Paul, in preaching to the Gentiles, downplayed many of the Jewish laws and got rid of taboos like keeping kosher. Then Greeks and pagans probably allowed their traditions to leak in, I'm sure. Jews don't believe Jesus is the Messiah...so they don't agree with Christians.  Christians, throughout history, broke with Jews..they were ostracized because they didn't follow Jesus so any of their customs were probably not to be followed.  Etc, etc.

Frankly I firmly believe that Jesus meant to bring his message to the Jews first and foremost and that He didn't mean for us to not follow Jewish laws.  But after 2000 years no one including me, is going to change their minds.

Krysta784
by Dani on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
12 moms liked this
Actually Christians and Jews only differ on one belief: that Jesus is the messiah.

The Jews follow the Old Testament and not the New. Christians follow both but lean more on the New because it's the words of Christ.

Jesus was a Jew. The King of the Jews actually and it would be MORE out of place for a Jew to have a nativity scene than a Christian.

Christians and Jews don't hate each other by the way....it's not a contest....
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Jesus was Jewish. However, he accidently started the Christian religion, or rather the foundation for it. Others created the religion based upon Jesus and the idea that he is the son of God. Christians believe Jesus was the messiah. Jews do not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)