Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog breeds??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

I have been looking for a dog now for awhile, but can't really seem to find what I am looking for. We live in a 40 acre ranch, we actually just bough this house. I am looking for a dog that is loyal, good with children, and that will not back down if an intruder were to come into my property. I need a dog that will bite, if need be. We are far away from our neighbors, and I am mostly alone with my children most of the day. I am a sahm so I will have time for training. I was looking into cane corsos and fila brasileiro's but the things I have read I am not sure that any of those breeds are right for me. Any advice from people who know breeds and know of any good breeders please responds. Money is not an issue. TIA

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichaelsMomm122
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Dobermans and Rottweilers will protect their families for sure. They are great dogs. Just looking at them scares most people. I have a Yorkie. She's everything you're looking for only 5 lbs. :)
mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I like border collies, newfoundlands, huskies, terriers, great danes.......  Give me a minute to think.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Their not known for being the best with children, and I know is mostly how you raise them and picking a good breeder. at this point I am just doing my research, I have a little shih tzu and she is the best at letting me know someone is here but is so tiny that she can't really do anything lol

Quoting MichaelsMomm122: Dobermans and Rottweilers will protect their families for sure. They are great dogs. Just looking at them scares most people. I have a Yorkie. She's everything you're looking for only 5 lbs. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

ok, thanks.

Quoting mom22boys333:

I like border collies, newfoundlands, huskies, terriers, great danes.......  Give me a minute to think.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

My girl Rottie will rip someone's neck out if they try to harm me in anyway.  All other times she thinks she is a lap dog.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Look at the anatolian shepherd. They are such love bugs but so protective over their territory and family.

You can train them for personal protection. (as you would need to with any breed for what you want)

They have great agility and speed.

Of course German Sheperds would fit your bill too.

Katkinson
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Shiba Inu? 

It's the same breed of dog that Hatchi was-- the true story of the dog who came to the train station every day for 10 years wating for his master that had died. 

They are intensely loyal, very affectionate towards their family, kind with kids, but will protect you if need be. 

Unfortunately, if you want something that is going to bite, it's not going to be recommended for kids. 

My neighbor had awesome luck with a female German Shepherd though.  Best dog ever, BUT you have to watch your homeowner's insurance with "power breeds".  Some companies refuse to cover you if you have certain breeds of dogs.  I know my neighbor's insurance went up when she reported she had the shepherd. 

A newfoundland is big enough to intimidate, but they are called the "nanny" dog for their docile nature and their tendency to look after small children.  Many untrained newfs have jumped into water to save a drowning victim.  They don't eat more than a lab does.  They will protect their family but are more apt to corner an intruder or stay between the intruder and the family rather than attack it.  Their sheer size alone would be a deterrent for an intruder though. 

Hope that helps!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Yes I know any dog breed would need personal protection training, but I know there are some that have the instinct to protect but I also don't want an overly excited dog. I have owned a boxer and he was just all over the place, I don't think I can go through with that again. It has to be a dog breed that is easily trainable and mellow. I know I am asking for a lot, but it is a lifetime commitment and want a dog that's just right for our family.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Look at the anatolian shepherd. They are such love bugs but so protective over their territory and family.

You can train them for personal protection. (as you would need to with any breed for what you want)

They have great agility and speed.

Of course German Sheperds would fit your bill too.

mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM

No problem.....other than protection is there anything else you're looking for? IE: short hair, long hair, big, medium, aggresive or just protective.  I was a vet tech and also a dog trainer for years.

Quoting Anonymous:

ok, thanks.

Quoting mom22boys333:

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a Doberman, German Shepard, boxer, great Dane mix. he was very protective and very loyal at a young age. When he was 3 1/2 months he attacked his brother for jumping on me (just playing but I said help to my dog and I didn't know he would do that to his brother. Which his brother lived a few houses down at my sister's). He is huge and was around 60lbs at 4m old. awesome dog.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)