Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hyphenated name

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My husband and I just got married. I decided to hyphenate my name because our last son was names after me. His first name is my maiden name. Every other one of our children have some part of his name in them. Even our daughter is named after his favorite singer and his mother.

He threw a fit saying I was disrespecting him by hyphenating, even though he knows why...what do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM

No biggie to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I don't know. I think that's your decision not his. He should respect that.
csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Tell him to quit being a fucking baby and get over it.  

baquick
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM
DS's middle name is half of my maiden last name. I did that so when I changed my name, it would still somewhat carry on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM
It's incredibly common now. I'm surprised he's making this into an issue.
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Personally I wouldn't care what he thinks BUT I do think this should have been something you discussed BEFORE getting married. 

I already know I have my mind set on hyphenating my last name if I ever remarry. I have a son from a previous relationship (before my ex husband) who was given my maiden name at birth & then we legally changed his last name when he was 7 (he is now 17) to my married name. I have 5 kids who all have the same last name. I feel if I were to remarry I would want to hyphenate my last name to show that 2 families are being brought together as one.

That's just MY opinion though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I'm doing the same thing for a different reason, my fiance is fine with it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I think he's definitely not someone I would want to marry, personally. I am not changing my name, nor did we hyphenate my son's last name (he was 8 when we got married). We are who we are. We will hyphenate our future childrens' names, but I require respect. And in my opinion, respect is allowing someone to kep their name if they so choose.

sarasunshine99
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I'm a hyphen!  And both of our boys have the same middle name...which is my maiden name.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM
His argument is his Mom didn't do it do why did I?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)