Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's hard seeing people react to my son with Down Syndrome. Today he tried to hug a lady

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1002 Replies
1 mom liked this

and she snapped at him :(

He's 15 now and has the body of an adult male. He's also going through puberty and is very interested in "pretty ladies". He'll tell me that he thinks women are pretty loudly when we're in public. I tell him that he's right, but he needs to be quieter when he says that. 

He's also always been friendly and loved hugging. Today at Wal Mart there was a 20-something girl in line ahead of us. He said she was "pretty" and hugged her from behind. She turned around and said "what the f*** are you doing? Don't touch me". And then stormed out of line.

In the car I told him that he can't hug people without their permission, something that I've said to him 1000 times before and that he's made a lot of progress on. But it hurt my heart to see him try to be loving and to be sworn at :(

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM
:( poor kid
TheDrsRose
by Bad♥Wolf on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM
10 moms liked this

Keep a better eye on him. I've been the victim of random hugging,it's not that bad and I didn't storm off,then again I'm not a douche bag. lol

ConnorsmamaKim
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
62 moms liked this

You do understand why she was freaked out though, right?

jaded_aquarius
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
36 moms liked this
So he assaulted her and you coddled him? Way to hold him accountable for his behavior.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
14 moms liked this
Sorry but I don't blame her. Maybe try role playing the appropriate ways he should behave. If he does that to the wrong person he could wind up with a knee in the crotch.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Well I would be uncomfortable with that too. I see your dilemna.

Keara20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't want some random person touching me either.
britmichele
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is 5 with downs syndrome, and this is a big fear of mine. Right now he will only hug a few people, but I'm sure that it will change. :( I wish I could give you advice, but you're 10 years ahead of me
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
7 moms liked this

I would be scared if some huge kid hugged me from behind, period. Down Syndrome has nothing to do with it. That's creepy. 

miisha
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
48 moms liked this
What an exaggeration.

Quoting jaded_aquarius: So he assaulted her and you coddled him? Way to hold him accountable for his behavior.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)