Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I guess I'm doing this alone

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 54 Replies
At the beginning of each school year we get a paper sent home that we're supposed to sign and return indicating if we would like to be room mom, volunteer in the classroom, or donate supplies to the classroom. I checked the box to volunteer. I've been room mom every other year for each of my kids, but the parties can get expensive and we just didn't have the money.

Well, about 2 weeks later I get a call from the room parent coordinator. She's desperate. She says that nobody signed up in my son's 4th grade class and that she needed me to do it. I told her about our financial situation and she assured me that so many parents will donate items for the parties that I would probably just have to show up and facilitate things. I remembered that in years past we did always have a lot of donations, so I agreed.

Well, 2 weeks ago I sent out a letter about the Christmas party coming up this Friday and it had a place on it to sign up for what you were donating to the party. It said that I needed the letter back by the 16th at the latest so I could make sure I had everything ready in time. I got NO letters back. Not one. I have all of the parent's email addresses, so I emailed them all yesterday afternoon letting them know that if they could each donate one item then there would be plenty for the whole class. As of this morning, no response. We're struggling to pay our bills and put food on our own table right now, but apparently I get to fund an entire 4th grade Christmas party all by myself.

What would you do? I'm trying to think of cheap ideas. We're supposed to feed the kids, do games and goodie bags. Any cheap ideas are welcome.
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

tell the teacher you can't do it alone and have HER provide it..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Cancel the party. 4th graders will understand.
mom2devin11005
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

that really stinks... sorry you're having such a hard time getting parents to help.  One idea I thought of was to do a pizza/Christmas movie party.  Make hot chocolate ornaments for a craft. or some other christmas craft of some sort. and I'd say forgo the goodie bags.... I know in my house most of the little items that go in them are either broken or thrown out wihin a day or so.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Well, we were told in the room parent meeting at the beginning of the year that the 3 parties we're in charge of should be a time for the teacher to relax and we take over. I'd look like a jerk if I made the teacher do it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Cancel the party. The end.

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Rent a Christmas movie from the library and just do popcorn and a movie
nelliesmommy
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
You can't do it alone, plain and simple.
TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell all the parents the party is cancelled due to lack of participation.. that'll wake them up.. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I don't think that's an option. It's a school wide thing. And I don't know about the other kids, but my son would be crushed.

Quoting Anonymous: Cancel the party. 4th graders will understand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM

can't you at least talk to the teacher and let her know what's going on?

Quoting DevinAnnesmom: Well, we were told in the room parent meeting at the beginning of the year that the 3 parties we're in charge of should be a time for the teacher to relax and we take over. I'd look like a jerk if I made the teacher do it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)