Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Downs syndrome, a spin off, from the other side

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 475 Replies
19 moms liked this
My 5 year old has downs. Everywhere we go, people assume he's always happy, loving, affectionate. I've had strangers in stores hug or touch him without asking.
How am I, doing my best to teach him personal space, supposed to explain that that to him? He has the mentality of a 2 year old.
This also happens to us at hospitals, doctors, people who really should know better. Why are all these nurses and doctors hugging my son? Yes, he's super cute, yes, he's young. But soon that will all catch up to him.
So tell me, how can I help this issue, when so much is against me??
I've asked people to please not touch him, but by then, they've already done it. And I do watch him but if I turn around for a minute, because my son is in a cart or stroller, I should not have to expect him to be bothered by (probably) the same grown up who would flip out if he was 15 and touched them without permission.
Unless you have been in my shoes, you have no right to judge
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
174 moms liked this

britmichele
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Bump
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
27 moms liked this

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice. It would be frustrating as well. However, he's adorable and looks sweet and happy, I can see why so many people would want to hug him an be affectionate with him.

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
14 moms liked this
Gosh, I don't know. I would never touch someone else's child without permission.
BeAmour
by Tonya on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
26 moms liked this
But he's so damn huggable, look at that face!

Quoting britmichele:

britmichele
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Neither would I, but there are those out there... I don't understand myself, and yet I have to explain it to my son who really doesn't have the mentality to understand the regular world, let alone the crazies in it

Quoting LilysMama719: Gosh, I don't know. I would never touch someone else's child without permission.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
11 moms liked this
It's so hard to resist hugging one of God's angels. I don't personally hug strangers' children, but it's not hard to see the attraction. I guess you could have bigger problems.
britmichele
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
22 moms liked this
Well I'm sorry that your initial reaction to my post is to call me a liar. You may go now

Quoting sjenkins8208: I've never had ANYONE come up and just hug/touch my child. Is he Ds, no. But strangers don't just come up and hug others children, especially all the time. I just don't believe it happens.
Raine_Dance
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
3 moms liked this
Your son is adorable. I'm of the mind you never touch anybody ever without permission. I'm on my third pregnancy and I don't care how cute my tummy looks it is not Ok to touch me. People just don't respect others or think before acting. I'm not sure what advice I can give, I don't hesitate to snap on people who touch me. But if your son saw you do that he might think all touching is bad. I guess here's a bump. *hugs*
BeAmour
by Tonya on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
4 moms liked this
On a serious note, though....I'd be pissed if people were coming up randomly to hug my child. Everyone needs to learn personal space and boundaries and back the eff off of your son!

I'm really not sure how to handle that. I'd request a note in his chart not to hug without permission or keep him a little closer while in public just in case someone gets in his bubble, you can smoosh them in the face to back them up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)