Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm too cheap to buy my 4 year old a tablet!

Earlier I posted that I was going to buy my toddler a tablet for Christmas, seems like a good investment in her education, etc, etc, etc...I discovered I'm too cheap, and she has daily access to a computer lab at her school!  I see the way she treats her other things...typical 4 year old mentality, so as bad as I want her to have one, we will wait a couple of years until she develops a better sense of responsibility, plus I want her to play!  We just decided to spend that $200 on a bunch of stuff that she can use her imagination and play with...a mix of learning toys like letter blocks, wooden letters and numbers, some skates, a school bus and firetruck (which she wants really bad lol) some construction vehicles, a scooter, a few of the Little People toys, some dolls (which she never plays with, but I'm hoping!)  A play tent, a pirate ship, a pretend farmhouse, a train set, and some other random stuff.  She and her brother will enjoy these things much more than fighting over a tablet!

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (21-23):
jen2150
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I wouldn't get a 4 year old a tablet. We are a pro technology house. I think the age depends on the child. Tablets are awesome.
CarmenCreatives
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

It is funny.  My husband and I workin in technology yet our daughters are very "under tech" compared to the other kids in their classes.

I think it is imperative that focus be on imaginative play and hands on learning as you can see by what I am doing on my etsy store.  We are focusing on natural felt and I must say that Key and Addie absolutely love these toys.

The feedback we are getting from around town is awesome too.  

Long story short I think that spending that $200 on items that allow creativity in play is a much better use of the funds than the digital equiv.

Carmen

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM
I think you made a great choice. A 4 year old doesn't need a tablet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured