Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food stamps at Whole Foods? Don't be an a** about it...ETA about lotion!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 424 Replies
15 moms liked this

Today I was at Whole Foods buying lotion (finally found something that keeps my daughter's eczema under control!) and I was in line behind this lady who had a cart full of groceries.  I was thinking, her bill is going to be outrageous, she would have been better off going to the Farmer's Market!  When she got ready to pay, the cashier got all sour-faced and started slinging her stuff into the bags and cart.  I was so confused, then I saw that she was using an EBT card.  So what?  In my opinion, that didn't give the cashier  free reign to act like a total bish...anyway, after I got my stuff all paid for, I found the manager and told her what I had seen.  Let's just say she and the cashier must be sisters, her response was ok, I'll look into it.  

At any rate, I see women on here bitching about people buying crap with food stamps, then I see this lady buying totally organic and free range with food stamps and still getting bitched at.  What the hell do people want poor people to do?  They can't change their circumstances overnight, and every poor person doesn't aspire to be poor forever.  Some people are just going through stuff...I don't know, I guess it bothered me.  Being poor doesn't equal poor character, and it doesn't always  reflect poor decision making.  Sometimes stuff happens, and keeps happening, and snowballs into even more stuff...sometimes it's just circumstances.  I caught up with the lady out in the parking lot because she was still unloading all of her stuff in her car, which was not fancy at all.  I told her she shouldn't let people treat her like that, and she said it happens so often she doesn't even realize it anymore. Shame, shame, shame.

ETA: For those who asked, I bought Borage Therapy dry skin lotion...kind of pricey but does the trick!

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MercedesMonique
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Thoughts? Anyone?

Krysta784
by Dani on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM
6 moms liked this
Better be careful with this one. Some moms on here think folks on food stamps should only eat rice and beans.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
4 moms liked this

People are rude everywhere to food stamp and WIC users. When I worked in grocery I would often "run the front end". I had to tell the same couple cashiers that they cannot speak to customers the way they were just because they were paying with food stamps or WIC. That they deserved to be treated like everyone else. I also had to tell the one that she couldn't talk about the Spanish speaking customers the way she did either but that's something else entirely :-/

boo1985
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM
7 moms liked this
Sounds about right. I think people would just be happy if poor people all starved to death so they would no longer be a burden on them. Me, I choose to help.
MercedesMonique
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yep.  She had some of those too, canned and dry, organic of course.  Will they be mad because her kids will be eating better than theirs, and probably mine too?  They don't call it Whole Paycheck Foods for nothing!

Quoting Krysta784: Better be careful with this one. Some moms on here think folks on food stamps should only eat rice and beans.

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. Sadly, the uncompassionate people will march on. Sad.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
People don't surprise me anymore. .what type of lotion did you get? I'm looking for a new brand for my son
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
6 moms liked this
I don't care. Your food stamps are to feed your family. If you can figure out how to buy lobster, or all organic free range foods, do it.

All I ask is that anyone on assistance who is able to, remember hand up not hand out.

Better your circumstances when you can, pay it forward.

Otherwise where you shop & what you eat is not my concern.
newwifenmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

At least she was buying healthy.

Krysta784
by Dani on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
3 moms liked this
That's what it boils down to, jealousy.

They're jealous that they can't afford organic or steak or lobster and they're jealous they don't qualify for food stamps too.

Sad really. Poor kids deserve good food too and if the place accepts it, why not?

But you can't please everyone so why try, right?

Good for you for being sweet to her. Bet she doesn't get that a lot.

Quoting MercedesMonique:

Yep.  She had some of those too, canned and dry, organic of course.  Will they be mad because her kids will be eating better than theirs, and probably mine too?  They don't call it Whole Paycheck Foods for nothing!

Quoting Krysta784: Better be careful with this one. Some moms on here think folks on food stamps should only eat rice and beans.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)