Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did you pick your career?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I feel like I have no strengths or interests. I am starting school next month but I have no idea what to major in. I have anxiety that I struggle with a lot that causes more problems. Every job seems like it has aspects that I would screw up. Also, I am not good with technology which I know is very important. I feel like a failure and I haven't even started yet. How did you know what the right career for you was? Any ideas for a major for someone that's not great at interacting with a lot of people?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I always wanted to be a vet. However in high school I started getting into the wrong crowd etc. My parents had a friend who was a police office and they had him "arrest" me. Scared me straight. Anyway I started running a youth group and helped out with troubled youth so I decided to become a Juv P.O I love my job, I have no need to work but I do so bc I literally LOVE my job. It's stressful. But being that difference in at least one kids life makes it all worth it.
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

lol, its not a "career" but

I didnt choose the waitressing life, the waitressing life chose ME! LOL... but seriously, pure dumb luck... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I went to college but didn't know what I wanted to do as I got close to graduation so I applied to law school. Almost quit my third year of law school because I hated it. Interned at a DAs office and LOVED it. Thus criminal law became my career. Just plug ahead, you'll find it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I really hope so. I flunked out of university at 18 because I was a dumbass who thought freedom was too fun. I am now 26 still without any idea what to do. I am terrified of failing but I have to try to fail. As long as I can focus I don't think school will be too hard. But internships and jobs afterwords make me scared.

Quoting Anonymous: I went to college but didn't know what I wanted to do as I got close to graduation so I applied to law school. Almost quit my third year of law school because I hated it. Interned at a DAs office and LOVED it. Thus criminal law became my career. Just plug ahead, you'll find it.
ProudMommaBear
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I took personality and career tests
Twix.Leigh
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
It took me until this year to really decide. It was between business management and psychology. I just kept second guessing myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I spent so many days feeling completely lost and scared. But like I said, I just moved forward anyway and found it. If I just stayed stagnant I would still be stagnant. Don't get stuck - force yourself to move forward even if you aren't sure its the right direction.

Quoting Anonymous: I really hope so. I flunked out of university at 18 because I was a dumbass who thought freedom was too fun. I am now 26 still without any idea what to do. I am terrified of failing but I have to try to fail. As long as I can focus I don't think school will be too hard. But internships and jobs afterwords make me scared.

Quoting Anonymous: I went to college but didn't know what I wanted to do as I got close to graduation so I applied to law school. Almost quit my third year of law school because I hated it. Interned at a DAs office and LOVED it. Thus criminal law became my career. Just plug ahead, you'll find it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I've been second guessing for years. Something seems interesting and then I doubt myself so much that I end up thinking I can't do it.

Quoting Twix.Leigh: It took me until this year to really decide. It was between business management and psychology. I just kept second guessing myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
So what are you going to go to school for?

Quoting ProudMommaBear: I took personality and career tests
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Here is a free website to test your interests: http://www.mynextmove.org

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)