Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you consider this an inappropriate gift?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 333 Replies

I've always been under the impression that you don't ask for or give very expensive gifts because the whole idea that you exchange gifts so they should be somewhat equal.

Well, my BIL is an insanely generous gift giver.  Year one together, he got us a PS3.  He's gotten me a Sirius car radio, a KitchenAid professional stand mixer (that one wasn't too bad since he already owned one that he never used), built my DH a state-of-the-art gaming beast of a computer.

We don't have a lot, but we're happy with what we've got.  Things we want are expensive that we tend to put on the back burner because other things take priority.  Whenever we are asked for gift ideas, we're pretty much coming up blank, but we'll joke about those expensive things we want.

Something DH has wanted for a couple years now is a new flat screen tv.  We've got a huge box of a tv that could have been considered a big screen in the early 90's.  He wants a minimum of a 55" screen.  We've slowly been watching the prices drop down and now you can see them at Wal-Mart for about $600.  DH jokingly commented about wanting a 55" HD LCD TV when BIL asked what he wanted.

BIL brought over our gifts tonight because he and his fiancee` are leaving for Oregon (where DH's parents live) this weekend.  Now, we won't know for certain until we tear off wrapping paper on Christmas day, but guess what size one of the boxes are that he has by the tree.

It just makes me insanely uncomfortable to think that he could have gotten us a new tv.  There's no way we can reciprocate in kind.  I know he does it because he likes to give and I'm incredibly grateful for the things he gives us, I just wish he wouldn't spend so much money on us.

**********Everyone keeps putting the word "joking" in quotation marks as though we actually expect anyone to get us these things.  We are always drawing a blank when it comes to gifts.  DH told the same thing to his mother and to my parents.  We also throw things out there like "a million bucks" or "pay off the mortgage".  Even when we do bring up some of the things that we genuinely want, we follow it up with something to the effect that we don't want or expect them to get that; it's just something we want and that was what they asked.  How seriously would you take it if you asked someone what they wanted and they said that they wanted a 55" tv?  Seriously enough to get one on your own?  And get accessories (there are other things here as well; one screams receiver and the other DH is guessing sound system but I think entertainment center).  You probably wouldn't take it that seriously.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
50 moms liked this

I think it's sweet and if he has the money then he can enjoy spending it any way he wants. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
32 moms liked this

If you feel it's innappropriate, your DH should never have said what he wanted, knowing how much money your BIL typically spends.

ethanlogan13
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
12 moms liked this
Be blessed woman.
thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Hmm.  would feel akward about that too. 

TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I would love that. lol
Darkangelpunk
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
35 moms liked this
Just make sure u let him know that your family appreciates him and the things he does for your family. Show him any way u can afford. Invite him for dinner. Have your kids make cards for him on holidays.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
51 moms liked this
Oh please. You're "jokingly" telling him you want all these expensive gifts......
You do it on purpose because you know he'll buy it. Quit pretending to feel bad. With that being said.. .

Enjoy your new tv!
abrine7673
by Awesome Possum on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
6 moms liked this
I gotta agree with anon. If you don't like getting expensive gifts suggest something smaller. Otherwise just take it with a smile and a thank you and enjoy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
3 moms liked this
I thought christmas was about GIVING. Apparently your bil just likes to buy awesome ass gifts whether you really want it or not and he knows it'll last a really long ass time so that's always a plus. Time to be a good reciever.
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly...this is a situation where your husband kind of stuck his foot in his mouth :-/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN