Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm upset by a donation gone wrong ETA because some of you seem to think I'm the bad guy for stating FACTS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 274 Replies
I am fortunate enough to not have problems with money and I often give away things ds has grown out of or no longer uses. I gave a bundle of baby clothes and toys to a lady who had signed up to a local gifting project. She has 5 kids, pg with 6 and they all have different dads beside the oldest 2. She spun this story about not having any money for baby things or gifts for the older kids.

I later find out she sold everything that was given to her, not just by me but 2 friends of mine and bought a games console. Do I have a right to be upset? Or is it hers to do what she wanted with because it was a gift? I'm more annoyed about the clothes than anything. They were designer and worth quite a lot of money. I gave them to her because I thought she needed them, I could've sold them myself or given them to someone who would be grateful for them.

ETA: I vaguely knew this lady anyway, she has told me she gets no child support, and threw out all her older kids baby stuff so had nothing. She claimed to have no clothes, crib, stroller, toys or anything.

It was a local church run gift exchange, not an agency so I can't really inform anyone.

The reason mentioning the fact they were designer is relevant: it's not as though I gave her rubbish stained clothes that were no good to keep. If she genuinely has no baby clothes she has no excuse to sell them.

I also find it relevant that she has 6 kids by 5 men because she gets no cs.

ETA 2: 90% of you have been very sweet though. Thank you :)
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM
22 moms liked this
Sure you have a right to be upset. She also has a right to do with items that come into her permanent possession as she so chooses.
I'm sorry that happened. How disheartening.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
How did you find out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
20 moms liked this
I would be upset, but unfortunately i don't think you can really do anything. It was a gift and hers to do with as she pleases.
I would be leery from now on, maybe donate to a Womens and Childrens Domestic Violence Shelter next time. I know from experience, that those women would be forever grateful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Once a gift is given its up to the receiver to do what they please. It sucks, sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
19 moms liked this
I like how you mention her having different baby daddies. Like it's relevant lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
She sold it on facebook, and bragged about buying the console on Twitter. I don't have this woman on my fb and I don't have Twitter. I found out from my friend who also gave her stuff. She's even more pissed off. She had planned to sell a baby swing and stroller she no longer used to make her decorating budget stretch further, they recently moved and my friend is not rich at all. But she was taken in by her story about not having any money for baby #6 and gave her the stuff, along with toys and clothes for the other kids.

Quoting owl0210: How did you find out?
AustinsMommy007
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
This

Quoting sugarcrisp: Sure you have a right to be upset. She also has a right to do with items that come into her permanent possession as she so chooses.

I'm sorry that happened. How disheartening.
susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree that next time, donate to family homeless shelters or domestic violence shelters. They need things badly and would really appreciate them. I know that  domestic violence shelters are places alot of people are aware of but don't forget that there are family homeless shelters as well, who also need help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM
4 moms liked this
Having 6 kids by 5 men is relevant if she's asking for donations because she can't afford them.

Quoting Anonymous: I like how you mention her having different baby daddies. Like it's relevant lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I think I will. And maybe stick to giving my time rather than possessions, because at least I can see where that's going to.

Quoting susannah2000:

I agree that next time, donate to family homeless shelters or domestic violence shelters. They need things badly and would really appreciate them. I know that  domestic violence shelters are places alot of people are aware of but don't forget that there are family homeless shelters as well, who also need help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)