Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Gifts? Yes or No?

Posted by   + Show Post

I love making homemade gifts for people.  1) I am broke so it saves a lot of money to make things myself.  2) I try to put a lot of thought, time and energy into what I make. 

This Christmas I made a mason jar candle holders made with book pages, a chalk board wine bottle, Body Scrub, Body oil, Harry Potter Coffee mug,  "True Love Was Born In a Stable" canvas art,  Wooden plaques with a collage of pictures depending on who it was for, Apple Pie Moonshine, A Chalk Board Beer Stine, Packets of my Chili spice mix, and an apron for my Mom with the logo of her new business on it. 

How do you feel about homemade gifts?  People say they love them when I give it to them... but my family is awesome and would lie to make me feel better about something like this. 

Anyone have any favorite homemeade gifts that you have given/received?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (51-57):
Famousglm714
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Awesome! I've made it before but I would be super happy if someone else made it for me and I didn't have to do any work, haha. It's so good. :)

Quoting Sbellemommy:

It turned out awesome.  I made it last night and that shit will sneak up on you.  Super easy to make.

1 gallon apple juice

1 gallon apple cider

3 cups sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

750 ML 190 proof everclear (or moonshine if you can find it that high)

200 ML Vanilla vodka

Small bottle of hot damn.

1. Boil the cider, juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks.

2. Take off the heat and let it come down to room temp

3. Add the booze

4. Put in jars.

Quoting Famousglm714: If you gave me apple pie moonshine I would be one happy camper. :)

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Posting on craigslist for materials is brilliant.

Quoting hot_momma84:

i make a good amount of home made gifts. i post on criagslist and a few other free sites asking for fabric or yarn so i can make gifts. it is sad to see so many buy so much then never use it. thrifts take stuff like that in but they even ask to much for it.

i do sewing, beading, knitting, corcheting, cermaics. home made gifts are more special. time and thought are put into it

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  You are so right.

Quoting Famousglm714: Awesome! I've made it before but I would be super happy if someone else made it for me and I didn't have to do any work, haha. It's so good. :)

Quoting Sbellemommy:

It turned out awesome.  I made it last night and that shit will sneak up on you.  Super easy to make.

1 gallon apple juice

1 gallon apple cider

3 cups sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

750 ML 190 proof everclear (or moonshine if you can find it that high)

200 ML Vanilla vodka

Small bottle of hot damn.

1. Boil the cider, juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks.

2. Take off the heat and let it come down to room temp

3. Add the booze

4. Put in jars.

Quoting Famousglm714: If you gave me apple pie moonshine I would be one happy camper. :)

Mrseoc
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I love home made gifts. I like getting them more than i like getting store bought gifts. I like to give them as well but for some reason with a toddler i have no time.. suddenly. So this year i will just be giving out pictures of LO to the family memebers, and homemade liquior fruit snacks for my friends and some family memebers.

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I know!  The only way I get anything done is after they are in bed... Unless I need their foot/handprints :-)

Quoting Mrseoc:

I love home made gifts. I like getting them more than i like getting store bought gifts. I like to give them as well but for some reason with a toddler i have no time.. suddenly. So this year i will just be giving out pictures of LO to the family memebers, and homemade liquior fruit snacks for my friends and some family memebers.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Three whole vanilla beans and organic cane sugar.  I just put the beans in a quart mason jar and fill it with sugar.  I made a dozen jars in September and I'll tie bows and notes on them and give them out.  You can do it any time, just let the person know that sitting for at least a week or so will make the flavor more intense.  Also, the jars can be refilled over and over.  I do it for about six months and then use the vanilla beans and start over.

Quoting Sbellemommy:

YUM!! How do you make the vanilla sugar?

Quoting inspain:

Yes!  I LOVE homemade gifts.  

I'm giving vanilla sugar and hot cocoa mix in pretty jars and I'm making trays of marshmallows for a bunch of people.  

I know one friend will be giving out bourbon pecan cakes and I can hardly wait for mine!

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Awesome. Thank you. I've bought it before and loved it. This is on my to do list.

Quoting inspain:

Three whole vanilla beans and organic cane sugar.  I just put the beans in a quart mason jar and fill it with sugar.  I made a dozen jars in September and I'll tie bows and notes on them and give them out.  You can do it any time, just let the person know that sitting for at least a week or so will make the flavor more intense.  Also, the jars can be refilled over and over.  I do it for about six months and then use the vanilla beans and start over.

Quoting Sbellemommy:

YUM!! How do you make the vanilla sugar?

Quoting inspain:

Yes!  I LOVE homemade gifts.  

I'm giving vanilla sugar and hot cocoa mix in pretty jars and I'm making trays of marshmallows for a bunch of people.  

I know one friend will be giving out bourbon pecan cakes and I can hardly wait for mine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured