Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social worker approval required to homeschool???

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 167 Replies

I stumbled upon this article this morning and found it quite interesting. An Ohio senator has proposed a bill that will require homeschooling parents to undergo a social services investigation to determine if they are fit to homeschool. It will include interviewing parents and children seperately, and criminal background checks. If they're not approved they will be subjected to an "intervention" before they can be considered for approval. Here's the full article:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/oh/201312170.asp

What are your thoughts? If you're a homeschooling parent, would you be ok with this?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

bump

QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
13 moms liked this
Overstepping. That's a huge invasion of privacy and violation of people's rights.

We home school, and never in a million years would I be okay with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moo_point
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
7 moms liked this
I didn't read the article but I think everyone who wants to home school should be interviewed. There should also be a literacy test they have to take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I just commented on this post ! is this another one?  heh I'm on the fence I ve some bad homeschool situations.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
5 moms liked this

I have seen how uneducated some women here are, who claim to HS. Personally, I think if teachers have to go to school to get degrees to entrust our children to them, parents should be no different. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a wonderful idea. Too many idiots who are unqualified are "teaching" their children. Don't like it and don't wanna be interviewed? Don't homeschool. What a concept.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't understand why people are up in arms about government-mandated healthcare but happy about government-mandated education for kids 5-18. Can someone please explain that to me?
justahousewife
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sure, it sounds like they're just looking out for the welfare of the child, but do we really want more government red tape as parents? I'm not a true homeschooling mom, because I was able to find a great school district and then had the ability to move here. If I hadn't been able to move I would have continued my education to qualify myself to homeschool, instead of the direction I went. 

I can see where that sort of requirement could be helpful, but I also think there is way too much red tape where it shouldn't be.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts?   I think it really infringes on parents rights.   I do homeschool, but would be highly offended if some one had to come fine-tooth-comb my life to get to do that.  

I mean, public school children sometimes come from bad homes.   Would you be offended if they made EVERY parent undergo a social services investigation just to have kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured